2019 Subaru Impreza oil change interval

I have a 2019 Subaru Impreza which I bought in February of 2019. When should I get an oil change…6 months or 6,000 miles? Two technicians at the dealership did not agree. One said every 6 months and one said only once a year if I drive under 6000 miles. I do not drive very far. Right now the mileage is 2200.
Thank you.

You qualify for severe service . Look in your owners manual to see what is required for severe service .
But why cheap out over an oil and filter change on a vehicle that cost that much . Also by having it done every 6 months at the dealer while in the warranty period will make any warranty problems just that much easier to have taken care of.

3 Likes

Agree with the Severe Service! It’s the short trips rather than the low miles per year that dictates iit.

One of our cars only goes 4000 miles per year but it makes at least one 20 .mile trip at highway speed per weak which prevents crud formation. We change oil on that car once a year, and after 12 years of flawless operation I have yet to add any oil between changes.

The manufacturer’s maintenance schedule is very specific:
Change the oil every 6,000 miles or 6 monthswhichever comes first.

For reasons that I will probably never understand, a lot of people seem to have a hard time with the “whichever comes first” proviso.

If the OP does not do a lot of driving, then–clearly–the oil should be changed every 6 months, regardless of how few miles have been driven.

6 Likes

You need to strictly follow the manufacturer’s schedule while under warranty (the drivetrain warranty, which is longer). I would ESPECIALLY do this for a Subaru, they are having oil burning issues. If you have this happen to your car, you don’t want to give Subaru any excuse to deny you coverage.

Yup, you are overdue by about 6 months.

3 Likes

For my out of warranty cars… I go with 6 months or 6000 miles, using synthetic oil.

It’s simple and works for me. But if they were in warranty, I’d definitely go with whatever the manual said to do.

As you–hopefully–have figured out by now, the first guy was correct, and the second one was wrong. Unless that second guy is prepared to pay for warranty-related repairs out of his own pocket, I REALLY hope for the OP’s sake that Subaru doesn’t void the warranty on the engine, which they would be entirely justified in doing.

For future reference, simply opening the glove compartment, taking out the booklet containing the manufacturer’s maintenance schedule, and reading it would have enabled the OP to avoid a possible voiding of her engine’s warranty.
:thinking: