2018 Subaru Outback - differential oil change

Can you give me information on how to change the rear and front differential oil on a 2018 Subaru outback 2.5i

You are still under warranty so if you really want that done I would have the dealer do it . But look at your service schedule it should show a time or mileage for that service.

The excellent all wheel drive on Subaru is also sensitive so having the deal do it will keep you from having warranty problems later.

3 Likes

I believe the schedule says Inspect at 30K miles Our dealer changed it at the 30k mile service because they said it looked “dirty” which I believe was bull If you document that you did it by law the dealer cannot deny a warranty claim because they didn"t do it

Only if you can prove you used fluid that meets Subaru specs. I’d have the dealer do it.

My advice, never do DYI maintenance within warranty without saving the receipt from the auto parts store stating exactly which product you purchased and used and always get a detailed invoice from an independent auto repair shop stating exactly what they did.
Many shops get in a hurry and don"t fill in ALL the blanks: make<model<year<mileage< tag<color<date in

Changing the fluid on the front can be tricky. It is best left to the dealer (or an independent that specializes in Subarus). There is no dipstick (a scan tool is used), and incorrect fluid level may result.

Why are you replying to me ? I don’t even have a Subaru or asked the question.

Obviously, it was a mistake. You answered a question and my reply was mistakenly replied to your (non) answer.

It’s probably just a matter of draining the old out and refilling with fresh, using the drain and fill holes. Some of these assemblies also use an overflow hole to figure out when you’ve added enough. As mentioned above, might be a good idea to let the dealership do this job since it remains under warranty. The front differential may be part of the CVT ass’y. The rear is probably its own ass’y.

If you want to diy anyway, suggest to secure the proper written procedure, either from a dealership or a Chiltons/Haynes manual. A one-car subscription to AllData would have that info too I expect. Since you are DIY’er inclined, this would be a good time to buy the factory service manual, if such a thing is available.

Thanks for all the replies. I understand the warranty concerns. I checked with the dealership and they said with proper documentation I should be OK.

I enjoy maintaining our vehicles and have done so for many years. I am new to Subaru AWD but like how the placement under the hood is.

I wish the dealership service centers are not over tightening the bolts and nuts. Makes it hard for DIY people to do the maintenance

Make sure all your sockets and wrenches are in pristine, new condition when working on your new Outback. That’ll make it much less likely to round over a fastener. Diy’ers tend use tools they’ve been using for years, and it causes all sorts of problems b/c the dimensions have changed due to wear. Ask me how I know this … lol …

Agreed. Invest in the tools. I am saving money doing the work myself anyway.

Sockets and wrenches have a useful life, a certain number of uses, after which they need to be replaced. Just like most anything else.

[quote=“Erwin_Ramos, post:11, topic:147654”]
I checked with the dealership and they said with proper documentation I should be OK.
[/quote]

When you look at the way dealerships change owners these days the one you bought from could be owned by another firm tomorrow . And who ever you talked to could be gone and you have no written statement to back up what you were told .
Seriously , why take a chance just to save a few dollars . Wait until the warranty is over .

Don’t tell a Snap-On owner that!

That’s blasphemy!

Tester

2 Likes

The experience I had when having someone else did the work is summed up as an uncertainty of what will happen in an emergency. Many years ago I had my tires rotated by a tire shop. We were traveling from Idaho to Indiana and had a flat tire in the middle of Wyoming. It took me a long time in the snow to loosen the lug nuts. From then on, I made sure for the safety of my family that I do the work as much as possible.

I also had the experience of when the mechanic forgot his tools. It’s good I popped the hood and checked before driving off.

We have been good to our cars and we keep our vehicles for a long time and even handed down a few to relatives. I think the lessons learned from our experiences and the value of doing helped along the way.