2018 Chevrolet Colorado - Runs rough - bucks

6 Speed manual - if transmission stalls in 1st gear, Sometimes at restart (with clutch pedal still pressed/disengaged) engine will start extremely rough and buck, as if running on one cylinder. Must be turned off to restart. Happened about 5 times in as many months. Any info is much appreciated! SG

Normally the worse that would happen from a stall is the mixture might get messed up a little, but the engine would still start and run normally after a few seconds. I’m guessing you’ve discovered a drivetrain-computer software bug. Somehow the stall is confusing the computer, putting it in a weird mode it can’t correct from until a total reset is effected by turning the engine off. Ask your dealership to check if all of the Colorado’s software is up to date, has the latest recommended versions.

This is sort of like when your computer stops working, freezes. That’s a software bug too usually. No matter what you do, you can’t unfreeze it. The only solution is to turn it off, then back on. At that point it works normally.

I am guessing you mean the engine stalled while letting out on the clutch pedal with out giving it enough gas??
When restarting it while still pressing on the clutch all the way, if you let off the brake while in gear does the vehicle try to move like the clutch is not pressed all the way??
Does it only do this while in gear or in neutral also??
If in neutral do the gears try to grind putting it into 1st gear??
When you restart the vehicle did you let off the clutch and press it again??

Make sure your floor mat is not moving under your clutch pedal stopping full travel…
Check your clutch master cylinder to make sure fluid level is full (assuming it’s not feed by the brake master cylinder)…
See if letting off the clutch and pushing it again helps any…

Possible cutch master is bypassing (releasing the slave cylinder)…
If anything with the slave cylinder or clutch while the transmission is out just get a full kit and replace everything clutch related, save on labor down the road…

There is many many different things that could be going on here, so without knowing exactly what the vehicle is doing or being able to test the vehicle out in person we are only guessing at this point…

I guess the 1st question should really be, is the check engine light on???

Hey, thanks for your message! Typically, what happens is … because the clutch has to be depressed to start whether in N or 1st gear, it happens when the clutch is depressed. If I turn off and restart with the clutch pedal still down, it usually starts fine the very next attempt, although it’s happened twice in a row on one occasion. I’ve not attempted to release the clutch during these occurrences. The engine is literally on the verge of stalling, literally as if running one cylinder. I did check for codes, and it was clear (not sure if that’s good or bad LOL). Thanks again, and hoping this info helps. S

But does it matter if in 1st or N??? There is a reason I ask this… If it only does it in 1st and never in N, then you have a clutch that may not be engaging all the way, like not pushing the pedal all the way to the floor, or the clutch master is bleeding off (bypassing etc etc)… If it happens in N also, then you probably don’t have a transmission or clutch issue…

Yes I agree, thank you!!

1 Like