2017 Volvo XC90 - Too early for brakes?

Has anyone had break pads and rotors replaced on a 2017 Volvo XC90 within 15k miles? I have had the car in the shop twice 1st to replace the front rotors and pads and most recently had to replace the rear rotors and pads. Driving BMW’s for the last 14 years and replacing rotors twice in 150k miles this just doesn’t seam right. Dealer says this is the norm but I’m not buying it.

Are all else equal? For example, you haven’t moved from the plains to the mountains/country to the city, you’re the only driver, you don’t ride the brakes by using both feet etc?

Assuming nothing is really different between the two cars, I’d say burning up all the brakes in 17k miles is way outside normal. What symptoms led you to the repair shop? Did they measure the remaining pad thicknesses at all 4 corners prior to replacing them and if so, what were the dimensions on the repair order? The idea being, even wear all around is something different than one or two wheels being worn out and the others normal…

Unfortunately, people who ride their brakes are usually unaware of their poor driving style.
In addition to unconsciously “riding” their brakes, there are a lot of people who consistently tailgate other vehicles, and as a result they are constantly hitting their brakes because of their driving style.

I used to work with a woman who got a brandy-new Volvo wagon, and one morning I was driving in back of her for several miles on the way to work. When we got to work, I said, “Sue, I think that you should take the car back to the dealership so that they can check your brake light switch”. She asked why I said that, and I explained that her brake lights were constantly flickering on and off, even on straight stretches of road, and even on upgrades. She thanked me, and promised to bring this to her husband’s attention.

A few days later, with a red face, she told me that her husband rode with her on the way to the dealership, and he noticed that she CONSTANTLY hit the brake pedal–even on upgrades and in other situations where a competent driver would have no need to brake.
Instead of continuing on to the dealership, hubby gave her an extended–and long overdue–driving lesson, and she managed to change her bad behavior behind the wheel.

If I had not intervened, and if her husband had not re-educated her, it is likely that she would have worn out her brake pads in 15k miles or less, and she would have had no clue as to the real reason for the short lifespan of her brake pads.

Agree, 15k miles seems awful early unless it’s used as a race car or something. But I’ve never owned a Volvo. You might ask a mechanic (not at the dealership) who’s familiar with working on Volvo’s if that’s even remotely normal.

No Volvo experience here, but 15k miles seems less than I’d expect the brakes to last. Presuming they lasted much longer than that on other cars you’ve driven prior. There could be some design thing going on w/this particular model. Manufactures are doing everything possible to increase their mpg and 0-60 ratings to remain competitive, and reducing weight, especially in the rotating components like the brake rotors, is one of their methods.

Owning substantially more M/T vehicles than A/Ts My muscle memory braking is right foot although the majority of my miles driven (commercial) is A/T. I have followed far to many “drivers” braking to 20mph for curves that the average driver would take at 50mph in a 55mph speed zone and also braking on upgrades. They will not exceed 40mph on straight stretches until they reach the 45mph speed zone then drive 55 to 60mph! I have no logical explanation. I had my 2010 Kia serviced at the dealer a couple weeks after it’s 8th birthday in May. The brake pads were 80+%.

1 Like

I’ve been teaching my second kid to drive lately.

For both of them, the first time they sat behind the wheel, I explained the differences in working the brakes by the left leg vs. the right one, both elected to learn driving with the right leg operating brakes. I told to both of them that it is unlikely they will even drive a stick-shift, still they elected to do what their dad&mom are used to do :slight_smile:

Not at all. I’m the complete opposite. Plus, they gave me a 2018 xc90 with 3900mi. The rotors are warped on it. There is clearly a problem with the braking system on this model

That’s a different issue that the other responders discussed. There are at least three ways to get warped rotors. They come that way from the factory, the rotors overheat, or the wheel lugs are tightened too much when the wheel is put on. If it is an issue with a lot of XC90s, it should show up in complaints on Safercar.gov, and it doesn’t. I’m inclined to think the wheel nuts were over-tightened using a pneumatic impact wrench, but I’m not there to check it. Overheating would be a malfunction of the braking system where the brakes are constantly applied, and there would be considerable wear on the pads. Ask to see the pads after they are removed to assess the wear.

1 Like

were the rotors worn to the point you were feeling vibrations? this is an example of where a DIY type could put on new pads and go on. certainly a way to maintain proper braking and not cut corners when rotors are fine. but i dont know if rotors were fine.

I also have 2 Sons which I taught to drive. I learned to drive with M/Ts and fortunately had an extra car that was a good one for them. 1973 Ford Mustang 250cu in I6. 3 speed M/T in very good condition. It was a very easy M/T to drive. They learned very quickly. My final exam was driving to the stop sign at the top of “suicide hill” where a rural road made a 90 degree turn up a 60 degree slope and successfully pulling onto the highway using the hand lever parking brake to prevent rolling backward. They practiced on other slopes and ended up easily passing the final exam. The oldest has since owned 3 M/Ts and the youngest 2.