2017 Toyota RAV4 brake quality

Thank you for this info very helpful.

Toyota uses a “soft pad” but they should last 10-20,000 miles at least. The rotors should be good for over 100,000 unless there is some issue. If the pads are not wearing evenly you probably have a caliper issue, but if they are it could be the terrain and/or your driving. As I mentioned, Toyota uses a soft pad. Softer pads will stop a car better and should cause less wear on the rotors. I would not recommend using a harder pad, but I would recommend having someone take a look at the rotors (and pads) if the shop/dealer doing the job tells you need new rotors.

I’d be careful about blanket statements like that

Toyota has also used other suppliers over the years

That’s an interesting story

but I might point out that not all people are able . . . or willing . . . to accept criticism, let alone make changes

I’m sure we all know people like that

Thanks these inputs are very helpful. I appreciate the time

Do a google search on the make, model, and year. DO NOT ACCESS SITES THAT have (ADS) label beside them. I’ve found some very interesting product recalls and such sites. Computer issues and such. The dealer service department won’t tell you about them unless you present them with printed copies of your results. This is a game I LOVE to play with dealership service departments. Thank god for the internet and google search, now these bozos are on the low end of the tptem, look out for their lengthing noses.

As a retired Toyota technician and new owner of a 2017 RAV4 with 50,000 miles and 3mm lift on front pads I can tell you this is not normal I know what the problem is, and it has nothing to do with how or where it is driven I have driven a first year model think 2008? Suzuki XL7 98,000 miles no brakes or tires, a 2012 Ford Focus 150,000 no brakes 3 sets of tires, a 2014 Ford Focus 60,000 no brakes one tire due to nail in sidewall (if there is a nail anywhere around the wife will find it. LOL) all driven on same roads.

Now then on to the problem it is the adaptive cruse control notice how when you start getting close to something in front of you (doesn’t have to be a car) had a large road sign in a corner and hard braking (yes in a corner) it normally will apply the brakes softly at first then harder not even close enough to warrant any reaction from driver such as release cruse control, change lanes or apply brakes.

How do I know this the same problem we had on the 90’s Toyota Supra the traction control instead of reducing throttle, ignition and cam timing, and waste gate control to use less power and apply engine braking to the rear wheels like now they would apply the rear brake that was spinning the rear tire thus wearing out rear brakes in 20,000 miles more so on one side and in a few of our customers 10,000 on both sides completely down to metal to metal (they hard a lead foot and loved to hear the rev limiter and blow off valves).

To turn off the radar on cruse control hold the power on button in until the radar screen goes away about 3 seconds Warring this will be normal cruse control then no computer involvement driver reaction only so you will hit something.

2 Likes

2017 Rav4 I am so in love with the cruise autosense and slow down I will pay for new brakes when needed. I have not differentiated if the speed is throttle controlled or brake controlled, It works, so on I go.

1 Like

Actually that sounds perfectly normal to me.

1 Like

I believe he was referring to the OP’s problem.

1 Like