2017 Honda Fit - Loose skid plate

A skid plate is a heavy piece of steel for an off road vehicle that stops the engine oil pan from being holed or ripped off by rocks when going off road.

Nothing you can do about ride or road noise in a very small inexpensive car. Either live with it or sell it,

You have not responded to thge excellent advice to not run the car in the recirculate mode. Is that because you don’t know how to do that? The process should be explained in your owners manual. Recirculate traps moisture inside the car. You want the setting that lets in fresh air that will take the moisture with it when it exits the vehicle.

As others have pointed out, On Chrysler vehicles you can watch the knobs rotate to the fresh air position by themselves if you chose any settings that use the defrost mode.

2 Likes

The one on my Trailblazer was plastic.

Then I would not trust it to protect the oil pan. A proper skid plate should be able to bear the weight of the whole truck.

8 Likes

As several members have mentioned, this is also mentioned several times in your owners manual.

Change to fresh air mode to prevent windows from fogging up
Capture 1
Capture 2
Capture 3

2 Likes

OMG not the owners manual !!

1 Like

The OP has moisture inside the car in the summer months too.
In high humidity, warm weather, the HVAC system dehumidifies cabin air in recirculating mode.

3 Likes

But then, even if you have time, you must figure out where to find it in the owners manual. I did most of my research online for Honda issues. All that I stated wasn’t an issue as much as a complaint, about Honda design flaws. However, condensation is a serious issue. I have tried circulate, and recirculate, as well as other things, and no advice has yet worked. As I have said many times, my car did this from the moment I drove it off the lot. Of course, in December when it’s cold, and you live near the ocean, and a large river, with lots of humidity, you think maybe that’s the problem, until that changes, but the condensation issue doesn’t.
The dealership where I bought the car was an hour from my residence, and I was very unhappy with the entire process of purchasing my car. Therefore, I used local auto mechanics when I had the time, just to stay clear of the dealership. Although I bought my 2017 Honda Fit at the end of the year, I got no discount on the price. Nor any upgrades. I’m single now, so I’m learning how to do everything on my own. I want to learn, and not be naive, and I appreciate any advice.

So, I should keep it on recirculate at all times?

When I purchase a new car, I carefully read the details in the manual regarding the instruments and controls right away. Over the next few weeks, I read the entire manual–little by little. Every once in a while, I go back to the manual to refresh my memory on certain points. It’s amazing what one can learn by simply reading that manual. :wink:

:scream:

OMG

NO…

I don’t know where you live. In Florida yes, or anywhere with warm/hot, humid weather, keep AC on recirculate, then adjust temperature for comfort. That is how a dehumidifier works, the AC evaporator condenses the water vapor, then passes the heater core to warm the now dry air.
In the snow belt, sub-freezing weather, no. Very little moisture, ie, low humidity, in sub freezing temperatures.

I can’t agree with keeping the recirculation feature on all the time . Sure for cooling a hot vehicle quicker but after it is cool then the fresh air is the healthiest position .

1 Like

I’m guessing that thing is not a skid plate. It’s probably a air dam to reduce drag. My Volt is all about economy and has air dams and covers down below. The problem is it’s cheap plasticy cardboardy material that rips off if you run over the tiniest thing. I’ve cut away and zip-tied pieces of them back up to keep them from dragging on the ground. Not inspiring.

Not a real skid plate I suppose, I just called it that not knowing any better.

I ddisagree withyou. We frequently have hot humid weather in the summer. People who live here and leave the A/C in recirculate get very stinky systems from all the mold that guilds up in the plenum. Recirculate does not take in outside air, so no air is forced out of the car. The outside air setting builds up pressure inside the car forcing air out of the car,carrying the moisture with it.

I would like to know if the OP has everh had the draintube cleaned or checked.

Go back to the very first post by the OP,

Running the AC on recirculate then adjusting the heat is better than using the the defrost setting.
It is unfortunate that her Honda dealer ignored or chose to not address the issue when her car was under the bumper to bumper warranty.
But now I will offer a different suggestion. DampRid, or equivalent,
may get residual moisture out of the vehicle.
I would not drive with the DampRid in the car, only have it in the car when parked.

Not healthy if your windows are fogged up.

1 Like

"Interior fogs up very easily, about 90 percent of the time, I must keep my defroster on, whether, winter or summer. It’s very annoying. "

I had several Hondas in which condensation was an issue before starting up in the morning (in a cold climate). I found that when driving home after work, if I lowered the driver’s side window a bit just before reaching home, there would be no condensation next morning.( I shut the window overnight, no garage). Not a perfect fix, but something.

Poor ventilation? What setting do you keep the ventilation fan set at?

You’re good. My Sierra 4wd has a plastic skid plate. More of a “brush deflector” I suppose, but it’s not a belly pan / airfoil thing like the newer cars have. It’s more substantial than those. Pretty sure they made them out of thick aluminum on the older models I had. It may not be a “proper skid plate”, but that would have to be discussed with GM. The Fit…it’s going to be a belly pan, though.

1 Like