2017 Dodge Grand Caravan - oil

I drive my van very little, I put on it around 3,500 miles this year. the manual says to change oil every 10,000 miles, but how often should I change full synthetic oil when 10,000 miles would take years.

I don’t know for sure but it may say 10000 miles or once a year. Just change yearly.

Doubtful you will reach near 10,000 miles before the oil change indicator turns on, it is a condition based system. The owners manual is clear on the time limit.

This is what the owners manual states;

NOTE: Under no circumstances should oil change intervals
exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km), twelve months or 350
hours of engine run time, whichever comes first. The 350
hours of engine run or idle time is generally only a concern
for fleet customers.

You can do it twice a year if you want. Besides, oil is a cheap insurance.

I agree with the manufacturer and the opinions you are receiving… change the oil within a 12 month interval.

Driving a little amount each year is a good thing in one way because it puts below average wear and tear on the van and all its components.

However, accumulating few miles (compared with average usage) can be somewhat problematic, depending on the type of driving being done.

All or mostly short trips and few longer trips is the type of driving that doesn’t allow the vehicle to reach its full operating temperature and remain there for a sufficient period of time.

The van has a conventional internal combustion engine and in the process of releasing energy from the gasoline/air mixture, moisture is released. Depending on where you live you have probably seen water dripping from tailpipe of a vehicle ahead of you.

If you aren’t doing so already, I would drive the van at legal highway speed for several minutes at least weekly. The heat created will help to dissipate moisture (water) that has accumulated in the engine, engine oil, and exhaust system.
CSA

As Nevada pointed out, the Owner’s Manual clearly states that the elapsed time limit for oil changes is 12 months:

This is what the owners manual states
NOTE: Under no circumstances should oil change intervals
exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km), twelve months or 350
_hours of engine run time, whichever comes first. _

For quite a few years, I have noticed that many people seem to be unable to comprehend the elapsed time factor that is expressed in all maintenance schedules, and for the life of me, I can’t figure out the reason.
:thinking: