2017 Chevrolet Malibu: exhaust fumes leaking into the cab

2017 Malibu: We are experiencing exhaust fumes getting into the cab of the car. Even when the vent adjustment is on interior circulation only. The fumes are more intense when stopped at a stop light and a car is in front of us. We took the car to our Dealer and they find nothing wrong. Can anyone help with a suggestion?

Stay a least two car lenght away from the car in front of you if possible. You could try a similar car and see if you smell exhaust fumes in the cabin.Could be a bad window or door seal…anything is possible.

If it’s actually a 2017, you should still be under warranty. I would take it to your dealership for diagnostics and repair. And I wouldn’t wait around on this repair, exhaust gasses contain carbon monoxide, which is a silent killer

Click around to find a battery operated CO monitor. Engine exhaust has a lot of CO in it so if you do have exhaust in the cabin this should start chirping like mad in about 15 minutes. Home CO monitors have a designed time delay in them. You may also be picking up oil that was spilled in the exhaust manifold,a little makes a big stink.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/First-Alert-Battery-Powered-Carbon-Monoxide-Detector-Alarm-with-Digital-Display-1039727/307674704?cm_mmc=Shopping|G|VF|D27E|27-5_SAFETY-SECURITY|NA|PLA|FireSafety|71700000033099034|58700003867178934|92700031086147779&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqrXxxfO93wIVRIGzCh3WEADnEAQYASABEgKNY_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

3 Likes

If that dealership cannot find anything, go to any other dealership.
Your warranty is good at any Chevy dealership.

Yosemite

Are the fumes only from other cars or do you get them when there are no other cars nearby?

My guy figured out the problem… the oil cap under the hood is not the proper size… I don’t know if it came from the factory this way or not… the oil cap is supposed to say dextros… I called a Chevy dealership ordered the part for 11.00 and I have not smelled the fumes in about two weeks now

2 Likes

My guy figured out the problem… the oil cap under the hood is not the proper size… I don’t know if it came from the factory this way or not… the oil cap is supposed to say dextros… I called a Chevy dealership ordered the part for 11.00 and I have not smelled the fumes in about two weeks now… you guys should try it

That’s awesome you found a cheap solution to the issue!

1 Like

Definitely… and I still haven’t smelled the fumes… I recommend everyone try that before going out spending an arm and a leg

odd that a 3 yr old car would have a replacement oil fill cap. i think the malibu has a turbo motor? you would think the emissions system would detect a poor sealing VC due to a leaky fill cap? maybe not