2016 Volkswagen Tiguan - New cam?

I’ve been told that my 2016 VW Tiguan needs a new camshaft at the cost of over $5k. The dealership told me the filter screen has been sucked up into the camshaft. I really like the vehicle, but this is probably the last straw, as I have made other costly repairs previously. Help! If I don’t get it fixed, I don’t even have a viable trade-in………

Is it undriveable, and at the dealer? You might try and find a VW independent garage in your area that could put on a used head for less, then sell it pronto. You might also check on VW forums like VWVortex and TheSamba to see if there are other options. That engine is used in most VWs these days, others have had this problem I bet. Not so coincidentally CarComplaints mentions 2016 engine failures in its Tiguan listing.

1 Like

Hans foreign auto works charges $5000 for 1 cyl head?
Tiguan is 2.0 turbo?
I was looking at a 2012 vw cc that needs a timing belt. Or chain. I assume bent valves. Seems like a nice car. 105k miles. Seller wants $950
I did both heads on my opel. Dohc. Bent valves. Wasn’t a bad job.

1 Like

If you’re insisting to only use the dealer shop, pretty easy decision, either pay the $5000, or buy another car. Your car in it present condition still has some value, if just for its parts, so if you decide to part, don’t give it away. Market it to folks in your area who buy cars to fix up and sell, or for their parts. Ask a few shops techs who those folks are.

If you are asking what I’d do, I prefer older, simpler cars b/c they are easier to diy’er fix, so I’d sell it, very easy decision for me.

1 Like