2016 Mercedes-Benz Metris - Big engine issus

Mercedes replaced the cams on a 4 cylinder engine. Engine throws a rod shortly after. Why? Mercedes shrugs their shoulders and blames the piano player.

Sounds like an oiling issue.

Apparently the piano player was pounding out Smoke On The Water…

This is a very vague post. Are you asking a question? Or just ranting?

2 Likes

Having to replace the cams on a 6-7 year old vehicle, and then have a rod fail shortly thereafter would have me question the quality of the product.

Tester

2 Likes

I question the patterns of use and maintenance.

1 Like

More information appperciated.

I have a 2005 MB pushing 200,000 miles w/o an engine related problem except for replacing water pump at 130.000 miles. although I am disapointed by the quality of their audio components (speakers) and paint on their plastic components.

Don’t shoot me, I’m only the piano player.

1 Like

Cam and timing chain problems are almost in every case due to…
Irregular oil changes.
Not raising the hood to inspect and keep the oil level at the full mark.

So I ask…along with the vehicle mileage, what is your oil change regimen and how often if ever do you raise the hood to check the oil?

1 Like

Here’s why the engine grenaded.

While starving a timing chain of oil is not a great thing, it’s not the most oil dependent of things on an engine, and intermittent starvation of oil to that part on its own would not likely cause you problems. Also most timing chains usually are lubricated by running it through the oil bath at the bottom of the engine, as well as oil in the valve cover.

your cams on the otherhand, need constant lubrication and are usually bathed in oil constantly as oil is usually bathing the entire cavity covered by the valve cover; that is why valve cover gasket leaks are so Prolific with oil.

faulty cam adjusters on the other hand are a major problem because they will cause improper timing in the combustion cycle, for reasons that have nothing to do with oil. Faulty variable timing adjustment gear has been a persistent problem for a variety of manufacturers since Honda invented the darn things. I have not heard of it being a problem on the M274/M270, or any other Mercedes actually.

Bad engine design is not a historic Mercedes issue. With the exception of the 4.7/5.5/6.3 DOHC V8s and the first generation aluminum V8s, both of which had timing chain sprocket problems, and the 3.5 I6 turbodiesel installed in certain 80’s and 90s S-class models, (they were essentially bored too big for their block) I have never really heard of Mercedes where the engine mechanicals are anywhere on the list of the vehicles weakpoints.

Tester

Replacing camshafts is a shop-task always fraught with the danger of later engine damage. B/c if the camshaft and crankshaft ever get out of phase, the piston may be subjected to a great force, beyond what the parts are designed to tolerate. The piston rod then seeking an escape through the side of the engine can be the result. If the oil pressure was ok at the time this occurred, my guess is a faulty replacement part or a faulty install. Your option – if you firmly believe it was the shop’s fault – is to hire your own mechanic to do an autopsy on the engine.