2016 Hyundai Accent A/C Issue

2016 Hyundai Accent 100,000+ miles. About a month ago, A/C started to blow cold air initially and then would quickly fade to only blow hot. Remember over past year, year and half, where had intermittent, rare occurrence, issue with A/C only blowing hot air for a short period of time. Specific incident happened when idling stuck in traffic on interstate. Took to mechanic and was told compressor is bad and system needs to be replaced at about $1000.00. The mechanic said something about high pressure on the low side and low pressure on the high side indicating compressor is bad. Like this mechanic and used for several years with reputable service. Could it possible be something else (cheaper) that is an issue? Maybe climate controls, fuse, etc. Is there a thermostat of sorts that could be faulty telling the A/C not to cool?

Let the mechanic do his job, at that mileage its quite possible the compressor is tired.

2 Likes

I think your mechanic is correct. AC repairs are not cheap but $1000 is quite a reasonable price.

5 Likes

A/C issues are difficult to diagnose without knowing what the pressures are and how they are acting during operation. At this point I would advise getting another opinion or two without telling anyone what the previous guy told you.

Granted, it could be a failed compressor but I tend to think the cause is something far less serious. Expansion valve, compressor short cycling due to refrigerant charge state, etc.
Without knowing pressures and how this diagnosis was arrived at I can only theorize.

Last point. IF the compressor has genuinely failed, then that 1000 dollars sounds a bit cheap. I hope this guy is not planning on just throwing a compressor on there and hoping for the best. The expansion valve should be changed along with the accumulator and the entire system flushed out. I donā€™t see that being feasible for only a 1000 dollars. If the mechanic you mentioned is a ā€œcompressor onlyā€ guy then I feel (personal opinion only) you should not trust him to do this repair as it is incorrect.

4 Likes

I sort of worry about this as well. Itā€™s possible for a failed compressor to leave debris in the AC coolant lines. Install a new compressor without removing all the debris, new one get damaged by the left-over debris, and then you have not one, but two failed compressors. Suggest to ask your mechanic if this is a concern in your carā€™s case. Certainly seems possible for a compressor to fail, yet not fail w/ enough damage to contaminate the lines.

Iā€™d find a different AC guy.

AC symptom #4: Low side pressure is too high, High side pressure is low or normal

Here are the possibilities

1. Expansion valve stuck open

Ā©, 2020 Rick Muscoplat

Find this article useful? Share it!Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedIn[Share on Reddit](http://reddit.com/submit?url=https://ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com/abnormal-ac-pressure-gauge-readings/&title=Abnormal AC pressure gauge readings)Email this to someone

Posted on July 22, 2020 by Rick Muscoplat

Read More

eautorepair.net

eautorepair.net

![](http://www.pntr<a href=)

Get the BEST auto repair information
Alldatadiy.com and Eautorepair.net are professional-grade shop manualsā€”period. They include wiring diagrams and technical service bulletins. In most cases, their diagrams are right from the factory manuals.

Pricing:
ā€”Eautorepair.netā€”
1 month subscription $19.95 per vehicle
1-year subscription $29.95 per vehicle
4-year subscription $44.95 per vehicle
ā€”Alldatadiy.comā€”
1-year $29.95 subscription: additional vehicles $19/95 each
5-year $49.95 subscription: additional vehicles $34.95 each

Which one should YOU choose?
If youā€™re tracking down a wiring issue, Eautorepair.net is the better choice. Eautorepair.net redraws factory wiring diagrams in color and includes the component, splice and ground locations right in their diagrams. That saves a lot of time because you donā€™t have to refer back to the component locator or circuit locations. Alldatadiy.com, on the other hand, uses the factory diagrams. So you have to refer to the factory legends to learn the identification symbols and then refer back to circuit diagrams to find the splice and ground locations.
However, Alldatadiy.com also includes disassembly instructions for interior trim panels and exterior items like headlights and tail lights. If you need to dig into your doors, dash or console, Alldatadiy.com is the better choice because Eautorepair.net doesnā€™t any interior or exterior trim or body part removal.

Read AUTO REPAIR ARTICLES sorted by topic
Read some cool DIAGNOSTIC TIPS
Read ACURA articles
Read AUDI articles
Read BMW articles
Read CHRYSLER articles
Read DODGE articles
Read FORD LINCOLN MERCURY articles
Read GM articles
Read HONDA articles
Read HYUNDAI articles
Read INFINITI articles
Read JEEP articles
Read KIA articles
Read MITSUBISHI articles
Read NISSAN articles
Read SUBURU articles
Read TOYOTA articles
Read VOLKSWAGEN articles

Categories

Tags

ā† AC sealer stop leak

Compressor clutch not engaging after blower resistor replacement ā†’

• Find what youā€™re looking for

Is Rickā€™s Advice Helping You Save?

Ricks Free Auto Repair Advice has saved users thousands in car repairs with trustworthy DIY info. If weā€™ve helped you keep your car out of the shop, please consider making a one-time donation to the site. Your dollars will help us continue to bring you the best in auto repair help.

• Follow Rickā€™s Free Auto Repair Advice

Add to Technorati Favorites

Tester