2016 Ford Explorer - Puff and a puddle or oil (Read down for more details in the post)

Has anyone had their Explorer blow up? If this part of the engine block recall?

Tell us a bit more. Did this happen to you? What do you mean by “Blow up?” Is the vehicle covered by a warranty (seems likely) and if so, what has the dealer told you?

1 Like

Did you mean ‘block heater recall’? If so did you ignore the recall and continue to used the block heater though directly instructed NOT to use the heater until recall service was performed?

She heard a loud pop noise then it filled the car with smoke and shut off. When I got there it was in a puddle of oil. It has 65000 miles on it.

If it’s still in warrantee tow it to the dealer. But at 65k, probably not. I’d have it towed to a good independent mechanic and get an estimate on the damage. A new engine would be expensive.

But it may be something less severe than that
 Impossible to tell over the internet.

With 10,000 mile oil changes becoming common, I don’t understand why oil level monitors are not standard on all cars.Many drivers have never checked the oil in their life, but with 3000 mile oil changes they seldom ran out of oil.

I doubt that oil level monitors would change anything. Or I should say that they have not changed anything. People either check and add as needed or they don’t.

Last week I was handed a repair order for a 2015 VW. The repair instructions read: “Customer states oil level warning came on. Customer checked oil level and it was low. Inspect, diagnose and advise.”

What am I supposed to do with that? Hold the guy’s hand and explain to him that adding a quart of oil now and then is nothing to be scared of?

It is under warranty where we got it and it’s at the Ford dealer

If that warranty is of the aftermarket variety, it undoubtedly contains a lot of weasel-clauses that will result in denial of coverage. I sincerely wish you the best in this situation, but an aftermarket warranty (as opposed to an extended warranty from the vehicle manufacturer) is rarely worth as much as the paper and printer ink that were used to print the document.

It had a powertrain warranty and it was through enterprise. They told us that it might get just put a new motor in it. They said whatever needs done they will fix

Wish you luck. It does sound like a major failure though. You don’t get a puddle of oil without some major failure causing a hole in the pan or something. With other leakage possibilities, you wouldn’t have gotten the “puff”. So combined it sounds like some major failure caused the puff and then caused the hole that drained the oil. If there hadn’t been any oil in it though, it wouldn’t have drained out. So seems to me that rules out just running it dry.

Good luck with the repair and warranty. Very interested to hear the diagnosis and the sequence of events.

Blown up can be kind of a vague term. In general, blown up means a rod has been thrown, run out of oil, or some other major catastrophic failure.

With a puddle of oil it should not be hard to figure out.

I don’t know what to say about asemaster’s example except Jeez

I expect that means to determine if there’s a problem with the car that’s causing a low oil level, like a leak, or signs of the engine burning oil. Or if it is caused by normal amount of oil usage.

1 Like

Well the customer has certain information at his disposal, like it’s been 4000 miles since the last oil change service. I just don’t understand the need to make an appointment, drop off the car, arrange a ride to work, and approve some diag time to investigate being a quart low after 4000 miles.

In the end, I printed out the VW service bulletin for his car that details oil consumption testing and points out that usage of 1 qt per 1200 miles needs to be reached before any corrective action is to be taken.

That is better than my 2012 Camry’s manual that claims that the loss of One quart of oil in 700 miles is not abnormal. Fortunately the oil level in the car drops only about 1/8 inch between changes. I did find out that the add mark on my dipstick means the oil is 1 1/2 quarts low.

That’s interesting. So some cars the ‘add’ mark is 1 1/2 quarts below the ‘full’ mark? I thought it always was spaced one quart low. Good info to know.