2015 Subaru Forester - Problems after changing the battery

Dear Car talk,

When the battery was replaced in my 2015 Subaru Forester, It blew the engine control fuse and turned on the check engine light. It also made the cruise control and transmission mode lights blink. A person on the internet had the same problem and said to replace the blown engine control fuse. I did this but had to go to the dealer to get the above warning lights turned off. How does one avoid this problem in the future? The car manual does not have any information on how to replace the battery!

That is a new one. If any special procedures are involved that would most likely be in a service manual rather than owners manual.
The only way I could see this happening is if the cables were R&R in the wrong order. Negative cable, first off, last on. If the positive cable was removed first there could have been an arc, or if installed last an arc, that caused the problem.

Hopefully some of our more knowledgeable members have an answer.

If you get a definitive answer, please post it.

Like Purebred, I suspect that something was done wrong during the battery installation. Maybe the cables were accidentally connected backward at first or maybe an accidental short-circuit occurred.

1 Like