2015 Chevrolet Tahoe - Using Oil

My 2015 Chevy Tahoe has 99,000 miles on it - and I’ve had regular oil changes at the chevy dealer. Around 90,000 miles the “Low Oil” light came on, just before I was due for an oil change. This light never came on previously. I was 2 quarts low (yikes!). No blue smoke, no leaks on the the garage floor. Could it really be burning that much without producing blue smoke? Could it be leaking into the coolant?

You don’t check your oil between changes, do you? Start or get ready to walk.

If you are doing oil changes when the truck signals you to, it could be 6000 miles between changes. That would be only 1 quarts every 3000 miles. Not enough for blue smoke but plenty to wreck a good engine if you don’t check your oil periodically.

7 Likes

Many manufacturers claim that using 1 quart per 1,000 miles is normal, although of course that’s not ideal. It sounds like your usage is somewhat less than that.

I assume you’ll start checking your oil regularly now.

3 Likes

Not checking the oil level and running it chronically low just exacerbates the problem you are complaining about.

Unless you change your ways it will end up just like Mustangman said; on foot.

2 Likes

Make sure to continue to change the oil per the manufacturer’s recommended interval (or more often) and use the correct oil spec. Suggest that every time you have the oil changed it’s important before driving away from the shop to personally verify the oil level is correct (at the full mark) on the dipstick. And take a quick look under the Tahoe to make sure there’s no oil leaks. Do all that again when you get home. And again the next morning. If everything’s above is ok after the oil and filter change, then all you have to do – besides paying att’n to the dashboard warnings lights – is check the dipstick every 1,000 miles, using a pencil/paper to keep track of the rate the oil usage. As long as that number is not more than one quart per 1,000 miles, nothing else to do other than topping the oil off as needed between changes. All vehicles use some oil. Newer vehicles tend to use more than older models b/c they are designed for the best mph possible, and good mpg requires using thinner oils. If you don’t want to check the oil on the dipstick yourself, take it back to the dealership every 1,000 miles and ask them to check it for you.

Here’s a cut and paste from your owner’s manual . . .

"It is also a good idea to check the engine oil level at each fuel fill. "

Anyways . . . your engine uses 0w20 synthetic engine oil, which needs to meet Dexos 1 specs

We have several hundred GM vehicles of various vintages in our fleet. Some older than yours, some newer

What I’ve noticed is that many of the newer ones which use 0w20 viscosity seem to need more engine oil added in between oil changes . . . versus the older ones which still called for 5w30 viscosity

I highly suggest you follow the advice that my fellow forum members have already given you . . . and which is in your owner’s manual

Every weekend I check the fluid levels of our family’s vehicles, in addition to checking tire pressures. I do this in the morning, before I head out to go shopping, fill up the tank, etc.

I keep the fluids stocked in my garage, so it’s just part of my routine

I buy engine oil on sale at Costco, and a pancake air compressor can be bought for a modest price at Home Depot, for example

you might want to think of doing something similar

2 Likes