2014 Mitsubishi Strada Pickup taillight/brake light problem

I have a Mitsubishi Strada 2014 four door pickup. Somewhere there is an intermittent short between the right taillight filament and the right brake light filament. Both reside in the same bulb and normally everything works.

However there are times when the taillight is on and depressing the brake pedal causes the taillight to fail while and the brake light does not light either.

I have removed the light assembly, inspected the bulb and the wires as they attach to the assembly and see nothing wrong. Last night is was not working. This morning after inspecting the bulb and seeing two good filaments, I reassembled and see no problems…

But this is not the first time it has happened. A friend had told me I had a light out last year and I disregarded it as all was working when I checked the lights out then.

Where can I look? How do I diagnose this?

There was no way to edit the above once posted and the second paragraph was a hot mess. It should have read:

However there are times when the taillight is on and depressing the brake pedal causes the taillight to fail while and the brake light does not light either.

Get a new bulb , the one you have could have intermittent problems. Or at least trade sides with the bulbs and see if the malfunction moves to the other side.

1 Like

That would suggest an open in the ground circuit, the tail light is using the brake light circuit as a ground until you step on the brake pedal. Test for proper ground at that lamp while the brake is applied.

3 Likes

I have ground now as both are working again. So this is a ground that fails every once in a while. The taillight assembly tight and not exposed to the elements. Any idea where such an intermittent open might occur?

A NEW bulb would be my first try as @VOLVO_V70 said .

Getv the Moths out of your wallet and buy new bulbs!!!

Yosemite

There should be a ground wire from the taillight ass’y to the chassis (car body) in that area. When you find it, check for loose or corroded connections at both ends. While you are there ohm it out while twisting and pulling on it. You may have a broken wire. I had a similar problem w/my Corolla one time, and it was a loose connection of that wire where it attaches to the tail light ass’y. Just needed to tighten up the nut a little.

@Yosemite and @George_San_Jose1

He has fixed the problem, he fixed the ground.

That’s not how I interpreted OP’s quoted comment.

No it is not fixed… it is intermittent and while I have ground now, I will lose it again. The vehicle has no rust that I can see. All the wires I see are in good condition… Could the open be up toward the switch by the brake pedal? That is the only moving part.

Newer vehicles tend to use an electronic control module to reduce the amount of wiring needed in the car. So it could be that. But best to start w/the faulty ground at the rear taillight idea.