2014 Lexus ES 350 - Ingress - Egress

I’ve been driving Lexus cars for years, but think I might need a change. It seems newer models of most cars keep getting lower to the ground and my tired legs would lIke a higher ground clearance, preferably in a sedan. Any suggestions? Or will I need to think about a so-called ‘crossover’?

Very seldom does anyone who asks for recommendations here ever buy what was listed. Sorry, but you just need to test drive and get in and out of different vehicles to find what you can live with.

Crossovers or mid-size SUV’s or Lifestyle Activity Vehicles are indeed the norm these days. They are tall cars or tall station wagons if you prefer. Or short minivans. Whatever name floats your boat. Some people buy them because they are easy to get in and out of.

It’s a big issue with some sedans and a bigger issue with others. The more compact the sedan, generally the worse it is. The B-Pillar is in the way in cars like the Lexus IS, Volvo S60 and other compact/midsize sedans. You should give a Lexus RX 350 a test drive. I’ve owned both Lexus cars and Lexus crossovers and can’t imagine ever buying a sedan again. Zero upside. Particularly as we get closer to completing the circle of life.

Almost all Crossovers have the advantage of seats that are placed at “butt height”, thus allowing driver and passengers to simply slide into the seats. Of course, that is an advantage when entering the car, but it is an even bigger advantage when exiting, because one does not need to lift himself up in order to get out of the vehicle.

My wife owns an 07 Lexus ES-350…and I own a 14 Highlander. The Highlander is so much easier to get in and out of. I’m 6’3" with a 34" inseam which puts my butt about even with the height of the seat. Much easier to get in an out of.

A friend bought his wife a new Toyota RAV 4 because she was getting back problems with her old Chevy Malibu (too low).

Yes, this afflicts many aging drivers. When my wife’s Mazda 3 Sport comes up for trade, we will likely get her one of those as well.

My next ‘car’ will be a CUV. Better for me in just about every way - easy in/out, good headroom, good visibility. I look forward to test driving the 2019 Rav4 hybrid, good initial comments on it, and it’ll get about the same mpgs as my current hybrid sedan.