2014 Infiniti QX60 Engine Replacement Options

Normally a valve cover is removed and pictures taken of the condition, that is probably the reason why they have to wait until the technician returns on Tuesday to reassemble the engine.

If you want to see the engine sludge they will probably show you if you ask, that would clear the confusion between a coolant leak and an oil sludge problem.

I believe you are contradicting yourself

So . . . every 5000 miles means OP should have had about 6 oil changes, and they’re talking about TWO oil changes since they’ve owned the vehicle

Again, if it can be proven that OP only had 2 oil changes in over 30K of ownership, then it is clear that OP did NOT adhere to the proper maintenance procedure, which amounts to OP having no case at all against the extended warranty provider

Besides, OP has an aftermarket extended warranty, which doesn’t rate very highly in my book. They’ve often been known to weasel their way out of their responsibilities, even when the customer did everything correctly, which seems to be highly suspect, in my opinion

in message #19 OP suggests he had 2 oil changes at the dealer, implicitly suggesting he had more than that, so I was making a point “bring it on, one way or another or bite the bullet and get a used engine installed”

I’ve also been following this thread from the beginning, and I reached different conclusions

I agree, it is only a slim chance OP would show up enough proof he adhered to the recommended OCI, same as it is unlikely he would honestly admit the fault

I wonder why they recommend 5k/6 month when pretty much everyone else is recommending 10k/12 month OCI? Do they specify synthetic oil?

My wife’s Highlander specs 10k and synthetic. I can’t bring myself to let it go to 10k, although it would probably be fine.

Still, I find it hard to believe that an Infinity has such a different engine than Toyota that it requires oil changes twice as often. Seems odd.

I’ve never owned an Infinity, but since it shares base to Nissan, it’s kinda comparable.
All my Nissans had no issues with sludging at 5K/60mo intervals using synthetic oil.
If fairness, they have 7.5K/6mo for “normal” and 3.75K/3mo for “severe” schedules in my “prior generation”.
New generation sticks to 5K/6mo for both “normal” and “severe” schedules, so it looks like Toyota is running in the front of a pack on this

Are you losing any brake fluid OP? If so, there’s an outside chance that getting sucked into the intake manifold via the power brake booster might be the cause of the white smoke rather than a head gasket breech.

From Wikipedia:

myCARFAX

In early 2012 the company launched a new service which uses service information reported to CARFAX to help vehicle owners with things like oil changes and routine vehicle maintenance. The service was later expanded to include alerts about open safety recalls issued by vehicle manufacturers. Vehicle owners who are interested in having service information included on their CARFAX Vehicle History Report can find local service shops who will report them to CARFAX.

Dealers use their network vehicle history reports for warranty information but the dealer and the warranty company are not going to accept a Carfax report to support a warranty claim. What are the chances all 6 services will be on the report anyway?

The warranty company will send an inspector to inspect and document the failure and they want to see real receipts with maintenance descriptions and a parts listed for each service.