2014 Chrysler 300 - Long Turnover

Hi. I’ve got a 2014 Chrysler 300S, and lately I’ve been noticing that it’s been taking quite a bit longer to turn over. It sounds healthy; imagine the normal sound your car makes when starting but just extend it by 7-8 seconds. At first I put it off to a bad coldstarter, but today I had the same issue and it was 1°C. After it’s been started I can turn it off and switch back on with no issue.

I should note, as it may be important, that we had a problem with the TPS on the front left wheel where it would not read randomly (though would come back after I drove for a bit sometimes). When I took it in they replaced it and the sensor was still malfunctioning. When I took it back they explained the battery was reading low voltage and the car will start shutting down non-essentials to save battery. So we replaced the battery and low and behold, no more TPS issue.

I’ll also add the the long turnovers were happening before AND after the battery replacement. I’m only now asking for assistance because it seems as though the amount of time to start is getting longer and longer. The car is a push start so I have no control over how long to hold the key for by the way.I have not tried pushing on the gas while starting either (and frankly I shouldn’t have to if there were no issues)

Thanks in advance, hopefully I provided enough information on the issue. As I said, it cranks perfectly fine, just google a 2014 Chrysler 300 starting up and that’s what it sounds like, except it’ll take an extra 7-8 seconds to actually turn over.

Try starting with the gas pedal pressed down 1/4" and report back.

could be a fuel pressure problem . . .

Putting the gas in does not seem to help. I left it at my mechanics for two days and he couldn’t get the issue once. Ugh, lucky huh?

Why would it be related to fuel pressure? The pump at least ‘sounds’ fine, i’ve had a bad pump before and they’re noisy. What else could it be?

The next time you go to start the car after it has sat for a while, turn the ignition on so the dash lights come on for two seconds and then turn the ignition off.

Repeat this a half dozen times and then try starting the engine.

If the engine starts right up, it points to a problem with the anti drain-back valve on the fuel pump assembly.

Tester

Thanks for the reply! I’ll try doing this tomorrow. I might have to try over the course of 2 or 3 days just to make sure since, as you know, it doesn’t happen constantly and I’ll need to make sure