2014 Chrysler 200 - Which pressure?

Just had a new set of tires put on my Chrysler 200. I always keep them at 32 psi. I check them when they’re cool.
I noticed when the tire shop put the new ones on they were at about 38psi
Will this ware the tires down faster?
I run winter tires as needed in around Nov.

Just go by what the door plaque says . It should be on the drivers door pillar.

5 Likes

Let a little air out to match the tag on the car.

Set the tire pressure the next morning in your garage, when the tires have been allowed to cool all night

And go by what the placard on the car says, not what the tire shop says or does

1 Like

I find it’s normal to have too much air in tires after a car’s tires are replaced/rotated. I’m not sure why. My wife took her Hyundai to our regular mechanic when the “low tire” indicator came on and he put 40psi in all four tires, which is too much. I went out with a tire gauge after she went to bed and let some air out.

That person would NOT be my regular mechanic!

Tester

2 Likes

You can put a couple extra psi in the tires to extend the time until you have to refill them. If the tire plaque says 32 psi, 34 psi would be the max. 38 psi is too much. If you have your own air pump, be sure to check with a hand gauge after filling. Some air pumps with pressure gauges aren’t accurate. Of course, that assumes your hand gauge is.

He’s good with most stuff, he’s close, and he’s not averse to referring us to someone else if necessary. Plus, as I mentioned, it’s been my experience that most shops overinflate tires. Until he puts washer fluid in the master cylinder we’ll stick with him, thanks.

I don’t ever have that problem and no one else should either. That is why there is a door plaque with the inflation numbers .

You’re making the assumption that shops actually check the door plaque. “32psi and a bit more for good measure” appears to be closer to the rule, much as the oil level is above “full” after an oil change. I’ve grown accustomed to checking my own tires and oil after service. If you haven’t found it necessary you’re fortunate IMHO.

Professional shops do!

Because if you don’t, you’re not a professional!

Tester

4 Likes

A couple of thoughts:

1. Tires grow - and the result is reduced pressure: PV = nRT. The test shop next door to where I worked added 2 or 3 psi to a newly inflated tire so that the next day, the pressures would be very close. They adjusted the pressures just before the testing started.

2. Most tire shops don’t bother to look at the vehicle tire placard - I don’t know if it is laziness or the fact that they, too, know tires grow so they over inflate to compensate. My experience say that most tire busters pick a number and EVERY tire gets inflated to that! (They don’t pay those guys much, so the work ethic usually appropriate.)

1 Like