2014 Chevrolet Sonic electrical gremlins

Any word on how that went

Hi, I’ve been having the same problem for a couple years now. The dealer and 3 other mechanic can’t figure it out. It shut completely off and then fires back up again. I’ve even lost power steering a couple times. Chevy dealership acts like I’m the only person that’s everything had this problem. I’ve had a new alternator, battery, battery cables, the grounds polished, new belt, and more. Still doing it. We have to start banding together to get these cats fixed before someone dies!

Have you been able to get it fixed?

This is an old thread.

Intermittent electrical problems can be a real tough problem to fix. Vibration is one way to test things and help find the issue. I like to use a screwdriver handle and tap on suspected trouble areas with it. I would focus on the wiring between the battery and the main panel under the hood. If that doesn’t show anything up then I would check the wiring going to the ignition switch.

Just asking do you have a lot of keys on your key ring?

Quick question
what does your key ring look like? The one with your ignition key on it
lemme explain
back in the late 2000s, Chevrolet bought some really very weak ignition switches, in my case it was a 2007 chevy cobalt, my twin girls shared the car and being “girls” they had tons of keys, pepper spray, nick nacks and dazzly junk all hanging off their key ring
the cobalt exhibited eerily similar situations with power ghosts
after multiple dealership trips and me trouble shooting, it turned out to be a weak switch/lock cyl and too heavy keys
we gave dealer ONLY the key and my back up key was on it’s own key so we could never “find” it, I finally found it using their key ring with all the extra weight
hit a bump and the weight would be just enough to turn the key slightly from run to off
Chevrolet FINALLY issued a tsb for all cobalts checking this issue
chevy being chevy, I’d say the manufacture of those crappy lock cylinders has been used again
take everything off your ignition key and see if it behaves for several weeks
Ford also had a similar problem back in the early 90s on the aerostars but it was due to a physical switch failure but had much the same symptoms