2014 Chevrolet Malibu - Auto stop start issue

My 2014 Malibu LS has that auto stop feature. It has 107600 miles. I did replace the engine battery early last year. Did not replace the trunk battery. Sporadically, the function works but most often it doesn’t. For the last several months, when I get to a stop light, it’ll drop to the auto stop then stall when I hit the gas; put car in neutral where it struggles to start back up. Again, this seems to be an intermittent issue but dangerous. No check engine light is present.

Was the primary battery replaced with the correct battery? Start/stop systems are sensitive to battery type and condition. Is it fully charged?
The auxiliary battery probably should be replaced.
If your Chevy allows the start/stop function to be switched off, must be done each time the car is used, why not just switch it off? MPG gains are minuscule with the system on.

3 Likes

Thanks for getting back to me. The new battery was the correct one for my vehicle. Battery is fully charged. My car doesn’t have an option to disable the auto stop feature. The vehicles I drive for Enterprise have that button to disable it. I’ll have to have the auxiliary battery replaced. I do hope that fixes the issue.

Little-Known Trick Will Disable Engine Auto-Stop-Start System | GM Authority

2 Likes

What a pain that little known trick is.

Pop the hood open, start the car, get out and close the hood.
And you have to do that every time you want to use the car.

2 Likes

Dunno if it works on GM products but on some Chrysler models you can disable auto shutoff by selecting one gear short of Drive, i.e., 5 on a 6 speed transmission. Works fine for city driving, you just need to remember to put it in Drive for the highway.

1 Like

This sounds more like a problem with how the engine is running rather than with the start/stop system per se. Have all routine maintenance items been taken care of? This could be an issue with the throttle body. Maybe a good cleaning would help.

The car had a tune up and a good cleaning of the intake system. Not sure if that included the throttle body. I’d have to check with the person who worked on it.

Good Saturday afternoon. I had the throttle body and the intake manifold cleaned. The aux12 battery was not able to hold a charge so I replaced it 2 days ago. So far so good. If it starts flaring up again, I’ll take it to the dealership to help figure it out as they should have all the necessary tools to find the source. No check engine light has come on during this whole issue. Please share your thoughts.