2013 Lincoln MKT - HVAC issues

Heater stays on and A/C is erratic. Doors lock/unlock, car starts, hazard flashers start etc. Problem with control panel (dealer says FCIM or FICM) needs replacing but dealer says no parts available. Mechanic says electrical problem causes oil pressure down warning light. Any similar problems? Is this a faulty APIM as described in SB10058094-3644? Vehicle is approaching totally inoperable and unreliable.

Even if that is for your car, it only extended the warranty on that part to 6 years.

So for your 2013 the warranty expired in 2019.

Even if it hadn’t expired, there are no parts available anymore to fix it, you are just out of luck.

That would be the fuel injection control module…
Given this description;

I’d say a failure of the APIM (Accessory Protocol Interface Module) is more likely…

Is the “mechanic” you mention working at the dealer? Or a private shop?

I’d consider taking it to a different dealer for a 2nd opinion. If you can’t get repair parts, not much you can do about that. The only work-around is to find a good part in the junkyard that is hopefully functional.

Is APIM the Ford terminology for BCM?

1 Like

OP, suggest caution in order if your car is still starting by itself. Could cause toxic and possibly fatal exhaust fumes to build up in garage for example when parked overnight. Engine fire hazard potential as well. If I had a car with those symptoms I’d disconnect the battery and not drive it at all until the repair parts were available. Or I’d consult with another shop for any alternate work-a-round ideas they might have. There may for example be a simple way to prevent the engine from self-starting. Driving-dangers if lights flashing on and off remain however.

Yes it is. It is sometimes called a GEM depending on model.

The part needed is no longer available, it will never be available, it’s a 10 year old car.

It’s also a non-serviceable part, OP’s only choices are to get rid of car or find a used part.

1 Like

This is an important issue to consider with modern cars. A 1925 Ford Model T for example, even cars into the late 1970’s, pretty much every repair part you might need is available or there’s a relatively simple work-a-round. But computerized cars, not so much. If my 30 year old Corolla ever has to go to the crusher, probable cause was ECM failed. 50 year old truck can probably be kept on the road indefinitely.

I wondered if they were the same. In 12/14 Lincoln took responsibility for the apim issue BUT 9 years! However is the danger not as real because time has elapsed?

I sure do appreciate the input everybody. Unless lincoln/Ford decide to make this right I have just had it.

Parts on cars fail. Parts on 10 year old cars fail more often. That is just a fact of life. Manufacturers agree to support parts for 10 years but they can’t anticipate chip shortages.

Sorry, but far more than Lincoln and Ford are struggling with this problem.

1 Like