2013 Honda Odyssey Accelerator Problems

My wife was driving our Odyssey yesterday approximately 55 mph when the accelerator “all of a sudden” stopped working. The engine was running, but the car would not move. Stranded in the middle of the highway, she turn the car off and back on. The accelerator worked long enough to drive another 8 miles. We changed cars and I started the Odyssey and backed out of the parking space and put transmission into drive. The accelerator was all the way down to the floor, but the car would not move. The engine was on, but was not revving with pressure on the gas pedal.

Hauled the Odyssey to the dealer. Technician started the car and pushed the gas pedal to the floor with no result…and then the car lunged forward “all of a sudden.” Technician and Service rep said “We have never seen this before.” They kept the Odyssey to check it out.

So, do they really know what’s going on and just aren’t telling me? Has anyone else experienced this issue? Any clues?

This is an ongoing problem with Odysseys. Some owners report a non-responsive throttle followed by an unexpected surge in acceleration.

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/54-2011-odyssey/150558-hesitation-acceleration.html

I don’t know if a definitive fix has been found yet. You might get some useful info on that forum.

Thank you!

I hope you have good luck finding the problem. My 2005 Dakota did this in the middle of town. The fix was a new TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). It did not have the surging problem though.

This from the above link:

when i first started driving my 2011 i had this same issue… i use my left foot for breaking…this Honda cuts engine power when brake pedal is touched…changed driving habit, and no more engine hesitation…this may or may not be your problem…hope this helps some one…

Your vehicle has what is called Drive-By-Wire electronic throttle body.

This means instead of having a throttle cable, it has a throttle pedal module that sends a signal to the computer. The computer then commands the electronic throttle body to open relative to the throttle position.

So the problem could be with the throttle pedal module, the computer, or the electronic throttle body.

Tester

Your vehicle has what is called Drive-By-Wire electronic throttle body.

This means instead of having a throttle cable, it has a throttle pedal module that sends a signal to the computer. The computer then commands the electronic throttle body to open relative to the throttle position.

So the problem could be with the throttle pedal module, the computer, or the electronic throttle body.

Tester

I am having the same problem wiht my 2013 Honda Odyssey. The vehicle suddenly stops accelerating, This is the third time. We had it towed to the service center. But the service techinician are not able to replicate the problem next day. Again pops up suddenly. Were you able to fix the problem?