2013 Ford Explorer - Low speed hesitation

I have a 2013 ford explorer. When I am going from a stop or speeding up, I have some hesitation when i step on the throttle. But once I am up to speed, it drives fine. Idles fine, sounds fine. I have no other issues.

Has anyone tried cleaning the electronic throttle body?

Tester

4 Likes

Is the check engine light on?
What engine does it have?
How many miles are on it?

4 Likes

No. Ill check into that.

No check engine light. 3.5 L 365 HP V 6 with 76,000 miles.

Like tester said, clean the throttle body.

Thank you. I’ll try that.

First I was told from a mechanic that I needed a major tune up and would cost me 2100. And also that i needed new spark plugs…went for second opinion and was told after 3 days of having my car that it was the torque converter, but doesn’t seem to have signs of that in my opinion. He quoted me 2500. I will be picking my car up on Monday morning as they are closed for weekend, and will go for a third opinion!

When you step on the gas and this symptom occurs, do you hear the engine racing, but the car doesn’t seem to be accelerating at a rate consistent with the engine sound? i.e. like something in the drive train is slipping?

No. there is no sounds other then the norm.

RUN as fast and as far from that mechanic as you can.

Huh?
The grossly-overpriced “major tuneup” should include spark plugs plus an oil change, a new air filter, a fuel filter, a new PCV valve, and maybe an induction system cleaning.
I would love to know what that thief includes in his “major tuneup”.

What does the invoice specify as the repair that would cost $2,500?

5 Likes

I haven’t seen an invoice yet. I would like to know as well. I was not able to pick up my car Fri after noon, and they are closed on the weekends, so will pick it up tomorrow and see if he gives an invoice.

Did you receive a written estimate of repairs from the first mechanic? I an curious of what you called a “major tune-up”.

No, I did not. This was all verbal.

The torque converter speculation above seems less likely. The first step is a proper diagnosis, including reading all current and pending diagnostic codes. Suggest to provide a list of the diagnostic codes (which the mechanic will provide if you ask). When I’ve had symptoms similar to that in my Corolla or my Ford truck the problem has turned out to be one or more of these:

• vacuum hose leaks
  • vacuum operated device leaks
  • engine timing problem
  • engine spark problem
  • throttle body problem
  • idle rpm set incorrectly
  • spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor, air filter, and/or fuel filter need replacement
  • air/fuel mixture problem

If you already know there are maintenance items related to the above that are not up to date (according to the schedule in your owner’s manual), it makes sense to do those first, as there’s a chance that will fix the problem, and even if it doesn’t, they have to be done anyway.