2013 Dodge Journey - Tire pressure in winter

Is 33 psi too low in cold weather?
Also it takes quite some time for the computer to read a correct PSI…has that been an issue for this model as well

33 psi for what? The fuel pressure? The AC pressure? The tires?

I will, assume tires. Look on the sticker inside the drivers door. What pressure does it say the tires should be? That is the pressure you need.

3 Likes

You may findthis helpful. It explains setting tire pressure as temperatures drop.

Are you using winter tires or 4 seasons? Anyway,the correct tire pressure should be written on a sticker inside the glove box or on the door pillar. I always fill my tires with nitrogen because it stable and the tires stay at the correct pressure all the time.Your computer will definitely show no pressure drop unless your tires have a slow leak.

Whether it’s summer or winter, you should be using the cold pressure listed on your door jamb or in your owner’s manual.

4 Likes

I have to disagree with you on that one. Boyle’s Law of temperature and pressure applies to Nitrogen as well as air or any other gas you wish to use. Nitrogen is inherently drier than compressed air so a lower humidity in the tire will help the rubber to last longer and help slow down corrosion on those expensive wheels. The Nitrogen folks claim that air loss through the tires and wheels is slowed down as the N2 molecule is larger than the O2 molecules that make up about 21% of air. That is debatable.

1 Like

https://getnitrogen.org/why/

Tester

That’s curious. I wonder why that would be? I can’t think of a reason it would take longer for the computer to read the tire pressures when the ambient temperature is low. The only reason I could speculate is that a delay is programmed into the computer b/c it is waiting for the car to start moving first, before measuring the tire pressures when the ambient temperature is below a certain limit. Why that’s needed, no idea.

Nonsense. Nitrogen changes pressure with temperature the exact same as air.

1 Like

I never had a pressure drop in my tires since I switched to nitrogen.Regular air needs constant monitoring and adjusting of air pressure.Why do you think race car drivers use it?If you care to read what Tester posted,it explains everything.https://getnitrogen.org/why/

Nope. Race car drivers use it for precise control to a desired pressure. It responds exactly to temperature as air. This is a simple fact of physics.

And I don’t put a lot of weight on claims made by a web site selling nitrogen.

What part of the country are you in? You must not see significant temperature changes.

This isn’t just my opinion. You might want to read what Tire Rack has to say:
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=191

Re the “getnitrogen” link:

"A tire filled with ‘plain old air’ can lose 1.5 psi in less than a month."
Yeah, one with a slow leak.

"With nitrogen, it can take up to six months to lose 1.5psi."
Logically, this statement doesn’t say “plain old air” can’t also go 6 months.
These statements are worthless without conditions or proper test data.

One reason race cars use nitrogen is it’s dry.
Water in the tire that condenses or evaporates will change the pressure.
Another is fire safety.
If a car catches fire and a tire melts and bursts, there won’t be a quick blast of oxygen to feed the flames.

3 Likes

I am from Canada where our winters are cold as hell and summers are hot and humid.The biggest temperature change is in the fall.It goes from a nice 65-70 degree during the day to under freezing temperature overnight.

Then there is no physical way your tire pressure is not dropping with cold temps. It’d be like me claiming I made ice that sinks.

If you are not adding air or nitrogen to your tires then someone else is. There is no way you can drive for years without adding air to the tires.

2 Likes

CGUY1 puts nitrogen in their tires.

Tester

You know what he meant-nitrogen. Air is mostly nitrogen, and oxygen acts just like nitrogen, temperature-wise. Something else going on here.

2 Likes

Nitrogen molecules are slightly larger than oxygen, so it makes sense that nitrogen would leak out more slowly. But I wouldn’t image it to make enough of difference to matter, compared to the fact that even nitrogen filled tires leak and have to be refilled periodically. We only need the experiment to decide: fill say 50 tires with nitrogen, and another 50 with air, let them sit for 6 months, and measure the pressure difference.

Oh, FFS, are we rehashing this old debate about nitrogen in tires?

Race cars use nitrogen because it is more inert than oxygen. It is slightly less reactive to heat and it is slower to expand because it has less moisture than oxygen, and it leaks less through attrition than oxygen does.

That’s why racing rims have two valves on each wheel, one to drain the air while nitrogen is being pumped into the other valve. If each of your wheels only has one valve, there is no way to get the oxygen out when you pump nitrogen in.

That being said, the air we breathe contains 78.09% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.04% carbon dioxide, and small amounts of other gases,* so I don’t see the point of paying for that extra for nitrogen when each of your wheels only has one valve stem.

If you’re doing the minimum maintenance of checking your tire pressure once a month, filling them up with ambient air, you’re already doing more than most people, and if you’re not driving your car on a race track, I don’t see the point of filling your tires with nitrogen. At best, you’ll enjoy a placebo effect.

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_of_Earth

1 Like

You can with heavy water. :sweat_drops:

1 Like