2013 Chevrolet Impala - HVAC issues

I had my heater core replaced. right after my acuators started locking up. replaced them. now the system won;t reset and the as blows hot and cold no matter where it is set. tried to reste a dealer but won’t. they have no idea, help?

Your appear to have a typo, but I presume you mean you asked about this problem at a dealership shop but they say they have no idea what’s causing the hvac malfunction. Is that actually what they said, b/c what I’d expect them to say is: “We have no way of knowing without further testing.” HVAC system malfunctions pretty common reports here, not just your make/model but many others; suggest you use the forum search feature to see what others have said, link upper right this page. The new hvac actuators may need to undergo an initialization sequence, usually done by a shop using a pro-level scan tool.

If you want to try something yourself on a flyer (a hope, a punt, etc), you could try disconnecting the battery overnight. That might cause the computers to reset the actuators. Unfortunately cars being what they are today – rolling computers – it could cause other unwanted problems, like the engine won’t idle correctly. Could even prevent the engine from starting.

I did the pro level scan tool @ a dealer and it would not respond. He said he has no idea which problem it is but might be a stuck door. he wants to do a complete check with a computer and then they will know. I did have a heater core replaced last winter and all of my actuators started doing the machine gun thing so I changed all3. the system hasn’t worked right since the guy changed out the heat core. thats about it.

Welcome to the forum…

Do you mean that it goes from hot to cold like the blend door keeps moving from side to side, or do you mean the blend door is stuck in the middle and you can feel some heat as well as cold no matter what… If the second one then the heater core installer probable has the door in a bind and the heater box will probable have to come back out and put back together correctly this time… Or someone very familiar with your box might be able to make some adjustments to correct the issue… Either way it sounds like you are going to be out of some more money…

I am guessing you had some guy do the work in his home garage or under a nice tree for shade??

Such a thing is definitely possible. Could be a coincidence, but more likely the heater core change-out inadvertently disturbed something else in the hvac system. I expect the under-dash components of the hvac system are going to have to be at least partially disassembled again in order to find the cause. Could be the replacement heater isn’t the correct part number, different dimensions, and obstructs the hvac doors; or could be a problem with the wiring, maybe a connector wasn’t re-connected properly, pin got bent. If the dealership shop says the next step is more scan tool diagnostics, good chance that is the best approach. Did the dealership shop replace the heater core?

As far as who’s responsible for the add’l parts/labor fee to make things right, I have no opinion, depends in part on what further testing/inspection determines.

no, actually the guy is a 40 year vet on this stuff, he taught it in the local college. BUT! he had his lackey do it so that may explain the problem.

Then he should stand behind his work and warranty his work…