2013 camaro p2138 reduced engine power

I was driving my 2013 Camaro on the highway and the reduced engine power alert came on. Ran an OBD scan at my house and it said p2138.

Now I’ve started the car a few times since and the check engine light and reduced engine power signals have not appeared, but the p2138 comes up every time I scan it. Is it safe to drive as is or are there any steps I can take to fix the issue? Don’t have a big knowledge of cars, but would prefer not to take it in if possible.

P2138 Possible Causes

• Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor harness is open or shorted
  • Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor circuit poor electrical connection
  • Faulty Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor
  • Faulty Electric Throttle Control Actuator

Now if I could google this, so could you. Check each of these in order… sounds like this is a bad Accel Pedal sensor or connection. This is a dual sensor so if one goes bad, the car won’t run away and crash. Sounds like one is going bad and that be why the car went full limp-home. Don’t just change the pedal sensor, plug your ODB reader in and scan the data coming from the accelerator so you can confirm the problem.

It is not safe to drive.

1 Like

Really appreciate the response…

“ Don’t just change the pedal sensor, plug your ODB reader in and scan the data coming from the accelerator so you can confirm the problem.” How would I do this? I just rented the obd so I’m not too familiar with it. Was only able to figure out how to find the code.

Thanks!

I don’t know what reader you borrowed so I’d suggest looking in the operators manual for the one you borrowed. You want live data. You want to look at commanded throttle… that comes from the pedal sensor. You sant a function that graphs the data so you can look drops or spikes in the signal.

If this is outside your experience level, you can gamble and just replace the pedal sensor as see if that fixes it. Or, take the car to a shop and have the problem diagnosed.

@Surfkay… you can’t promote your YuTube channel here. It is not allowed. That’s why I flagged you as spam