2012 Subaru Outback - Exhaust odor

Noxious engine exhaust odor coming into the cabin at the driver’s side feet. Taken regularly to dealer for maintenance, filter changes, etc. Have complained about it a few times and no one else smells it. I have often smelled things no one else smells and once tracked down a fire starting in a wastebasket one floor away. I absolutely know it is there; it makes me feel sick and angry. It’s real and I’ve seen threads about it with no clear answers. Thank you for your help!

Welcome to the forum…

When does it do this, after sitting for a while?
Only when 1st starting the vehicle?
Only after driven for X amount of miles/time?
ALL the time, doesn’t matter if just started or after driving for hours non stop??

AS much detail about when you are smelling it as possible will help some…

And a mechanic may be so used to the exhaust smell he/she may not even notice a small amount, that you smell very clearly… My wife can smell everything also… lol

I worked around tires closely for 17 years, I don’t notice the tire smell anymore even in a small showroom with 15 on display…

Your insight about smell is a breath of fresh air to me!

Summer or winter, I usually drive with my windows and roof open. Except on Fridays when the windows are closed so I can hear my passenger talk.

That trip is four 20-mile segments, with 5-10 min stop after 1st and 3rd, and 90 min stop after the 2nd. Ave mpg is 45 mph.

I think the problem is constant. I hate to use the heat, or AC, or inside air circulation, or even have the vents open. I always have a sense of heat on my left ankle.

Also, I do get that clickity click computer is thinking sound in the dashboard often–while driving and after the engine is off.

I would like to know how best to ask the repair person to work with me on this; changing the cabin filter has no impact on the problem. I wonder if they are really going after the problem.

Thank you!

I’m glad that tonight I remembered your website!

Driving with the windows down creates a mild vacuum in the cabin that can draw in air through leaks. Technicians usually drive with the windows up in an effort to get the odor to grow or accumulate in the cabin. Also having a positive air flow though the HVAC system keeps odors out, technician won’t be able to replicate the problem unless they drive as you do.

A common source of leak is the steering column boot where the steering shaft passes through the floor, has there been any repairs on the steering column or rack and pinion?

Another is the cabin vents at the rear of the vehicle concealed by the bumper cover.

No repairs to steering.
I keep windows so I can drive without the odor. I smell it when the windows are closed. It does accumulate.
I will be more attentive to my driving details. It’s like breathing. Time for meditation!
Thank you.

Also, what about the heat on my left ankle? Could there be a missing barrier piece leaving an opening between the cabin and engine?

this is just a guess. you could have a problem with the HVAC control unit and or the blend door actuator.
air is always circulating in a vehicle even when the fan control buttons is off. maybe the control unit is stuck on the heat side and the actuator gear for the blend door is also stripped causing it not to fully shut, giving you the clicking sound.

HVAC Control Module

BLEND DOOR ACTUATOR

Left hand drive car (USA)? or right hand drive car(UK)?

Look into the foot well and see what is there, probably the heater outlet. The heater will still vent warm air with the system off.