2012 Subaru Impreza Oil Usage - Is it a generic design flaw

My personal opinion is that a car, especially a new one, that chews through a quart of oil per 1000 miles has a problem; either with the valve seals or piston rings; or both. The last Subaru I owned was sold with almost 300k miles on it and it didn’t even use a quart per 3000 miles.

I might note that a compression test is not a 100% definitive means of testing piston ring sealing and so on. It’s quite possible to have great compression and still have a fault with the cylinder wall crosshatch, rings, etc.
The best example of this I can provide is a Subaru that had 185 PSI compression on each of the 4 cylinders and yet the car would blow through one quart of oil per 10 miles. The 1 in 10 is not a typo.

For those of you experiencing oil consumption issues, there is an extensive thread on subaruforester.org regarding oil consumption and the FB25 engine. There is much discussion that the use of 0w20 oil to achieve higher fuel economy may be contributing, but there may indeed be other more problematic issues as the high oil consumption issue is certainly not universal. Regardless, the potential of high consumption as routine to owning a newer Subaru is certainly now something to consider before purchase.

Wow, just put in a quart of oil and stop complaining. This is likely due to a combination of the 0w20 oil and variation in some of the parts as others have said. You can also do a used oil analysis and see what they find. But you said you know how much it’s burning; a quart every 1000 miles. Oil is about 5 bucks a quart, you drive a maximum of 20000mi/yr, so you’re spending a whopping $100 extra to properly maintain your engine. I’m sorry for the tragedy that has befallen you.

" I spent 20,000 dollars on a new car and now I have to pour a $10 quart of oil into it every 2-3 weeks??? "

I would at least switch to a cheaper brand/grade of oil…See what it’s appetite is for Wally-World 10-30 instead of the 5-20(?) you are feeding it now…

@Caddyman Agree, unless synthetic oil is specified, such as for a turbo engine, a regular mineral oil; will suffice, although many 5W20 oils are synthetic now.

In any case a quart per 1000 miles is no big deal. In the 60s new Jaguars would use a quart per 750 miles after break-in. That’s what the manual said to expect!

IMO 10W30 doesn’t belong in a modern gasoline-powered engine

For the record @caddyman & @docnick the vehicle specifications call for synthetic 0w20. If you read the owners manual, It explicitly states you can use 5w30 (like in the wrx’s) but ONLY TEMPORARILY in the case of an emergency. Subaru corporate was basically freaking out when they found out that the dealer put heavier weight oil into the car as a solution. They were not happy to hear that they did that.

I’d like to also add that after several times going back & forth Subaru that they FINALLY started an “Oil Consumption Test.” I had been instructed to go in every 1,000 miles for testing & to NOT put oil in the car in between. The outcome has been quite interesting so far as my problem as been degrading quickly. 1st, the low oil light came on once again before the 1st 1,000 after around 800 miles. It couldn’t have been at a worse time as I had to literally put off leaving for a vacation by several hours to get the vehicle in They then topped the oil off, took some measurements & sent me on my way. I then went on my trip, 340 miles drive round trip & guess what? The low oil light came on once again. According to my calculations from reading the dip stick, that is 340 miles on a half quart of oil meaning 680 for a full quart. The test is not fully completed yet but I’d like to give a BIG OLD thumb up the nose & a “naa naa naa boo boo” to all the supposed “experts” in this thread who so confidently assured me that I was the one with the problem, not the car! This is proof that many of you were jumping to conclusions about the problem with my vehicle, my ability to care for it & my expectations.

Speaking of expectations, I would like to further note, that I personally think this trend is completely ridiculous… Call me old school but I’ve never had a car eat oil at that rate, especially a new one. Even if it was a qt every 1000 or even 1500 miles. It comes off to me as “bait & switch.” As in they advertise great gas mileage but hide high oil consumption behind a curtain when in fact, they go hand in hand in terms of efficiency & overall cost of ownership. It’s ironic to me, at 1,000 miles a quart, to do a road trip from my home in Chicago to southern California which is about a 4,000 mile round trip, at that rate I would need to pack a case of oil & would be expecting to go through 4 quarts in my travels… WOW, that is not my idea of an efficient vehicle & NOT what I would expect from a vehicle that is known as a “drivers” vehicle. Further more, I have spoken with a certified Nissan technician who says he sees this same PROBLEM with their 350’z quite regularly. It is too funny that several techs within this thread are belittling others… Sorry @redrex but “sorry for the tragedy that has befallen you” but you are missing the point (not to mention you are just coming off as a HUGE jerk lol). When you pay good money for a product that is known for reliability & you have to worry about oil consumption every time you go for a trip & then in turn have to have extra worry about the long term effects this has on a $25,000 investment, it’s not a tragedy it’s bad business & a terrible value & for me the problem has gotten worse & worse & it’s only been 18 months. What can I expect 5 years from now? A quart ever 100 miles??? LOL… Not to mention it wastes time & time is money to me. So it’s costing me far more than the $100 you are estimating. I have been completely properly maintaining my engine, as a matter of fact I paid for the Subaru service plan & have been following all of their guidelines exactly. So once again, I’d like to say, if you are so convinced that the users have unrealistic expectations about how to maintain their vehicle, then it is most certainly the responsibility of Subaru as a company to educate their customers on the differences between their cars & every other normal car out there but even beyond that, the testing has shown that my vehicle certainly has a problem & that this problem is real & does in fact exist.

In any case, we shall see what the solution of this situation is. At this point, they have to finish the testing but it appears as if they are getting ready to replace the entire engine or the entire vehicle. Due to a plethora of other small problems with this vehicle, I’m demanding a vehicle replacement. This is not what I paid $25,000 for when purchasing a brand new vehicle that I planned on driving for at least 10 years.

You might keep us informed of the final result on this situation. While most car makers claim this oil consumption is normal, that doesn’t make it right; at least in my opinion.

If they’re going to consider it normal then they need to revise the owners manuals. If the text states 6 quarts or whatever of oil is needed for an oil change then it should state a full case, and then some, is actually required. Six quarts for an actual change and 6 quarts to keep it full until the next service…

“The test is not fully completed yet but I’d like to give a BIG OLD thumb up the nose & a “naa naa naa boo boo” to all the supposed “experts” in this thread who so confidently assured me that I was the one with the problem, not the car! This is proof that many of you were jumping to conclusions about the problem with my vehicle, my ability to care for it & my expectations.”

Most car makers have a number, a measurement, of what is normal oil consumption and what is not…If they determine your car is burning an abnormal amount of oil, they will do something about it. If your oil consumption is within their definition of “normal” they will not. Replacing the entire car? that’s a VERY remote possibility…

@TimNice

Thanks for the update

I’m not defending the " car" but…First, mileage means more than time…how many miles s that ? 6 months at 30 miles er day, 5 days a week is 600 miles per month or 3600 miles in 6 months which is fine. If you are then waiting till the oil light comes on regularly, i don’t doubt that your oil consumption is increasing. While waiting till the oil light comes on, you are driving way too much before checking it and topping it off your self. Now, if the very next time it drops to 2 months, it’s not oil burning, it’s an oil leak.

I was at the dealership one day for routine service and saw a brand new Toyota Camry sitting in one of the bays with the shiny new engine completely out of the car and stripped down. When queried about why a new engine would be getting disassembled the service manager told me that, right off the lot, the car was burning oil at a very high rate. The owner complained at 750 miles and Toyota agreed to pay for a tear-down and rebuild (or replacement if needed). It turns out that the piston rings were all lined up so that the gaps in the rings were not staggered. How this got missed during assembly is mind boggling but it shows that it CAN happen.

I own a 2012 Mazda 3 that uses 0W-20 synthetic oil. I have 37,000 miles and have no visible oil loss or burning between oil changes. Because I drive mostly highway miles I change my oil every 7,500 miles. This illustrates that the use of 0W-20 oil (and extended change intervals) does not mean your car has to consume oil do don’t blame the use of thin oil for consumption.

While manufacturers may deem high rates of consumption “normal”, even for new cars, I think it is complete bunk and consumers should fight hard to have the situation remedied by the manufacturer when they buy a new vehicle and get a “burner”.

If oil consumption as stated is going to be considered “the new norm” then by the same token this should mean that any car that doesn’t use a noticeable a mount of oil between the oil changes should be considered a defective unit.

With tongue in cheek, I might say they should all be recalled and made to use oil so they fit the normal, oil burning pattern… :wink:

@bloodyknuckles

Was the Camry included in this batch?

http://www.rav4world.com/tsb/2011/T-SB-0094-11.pdf

FWIW my wifes 2009 Rondo with the 2.4 liter uses a 1/4 of a quart between 12,000 mile oil changes. The car is driven 90 % highway & the oil is Amsoil 10-30.

If Kia can do it, why cant Subaru. Hopefully the OP’s oil guzzler is not the norm.

It was me.

I agree with OP. Thats too much oil for a car to be burning. I have had a lot of cars, and only the a few junkers from the 70’s I had burned that much. I had an 86 mustang that would burn thru a qt every 1000 miles but I hammered on it every day.

I have a 2013 prius with 4 k miles. It uses 0w20 oil and has used no measurable amount of oil. We had a civic with over 200k on it, used 5w20 and in winter 0w20 oil in it, it used no oil. My co worker has a 07 civic, 240k miles, uses no oil running5w20.

Quit blaming it on the 0w20 guys.

Just curious, How many people would buy a new car if they knew it used a quart of oil in 1500 miles? I wouldn’t. Its not normal. Its not 1950.

I worry about the health of the Catalytic converter.

@WheresRick

You agree with OP . . . I believe the OP is actually @Gary105

He hasn’t responded in QUITE some time

@TimNice “took over” some time ago