2012 Mazda Mazda5 - Brake to floor

brake pedal goes almost all the way down to the floor. replaced brake master cylinder twice and it didnt make a difference. now you can see where the fluid is leaking from and i was told that one of the lines was stripped so it wouldn’t go in all the way,

Welcome.
Not sure you are asking a question but, if a line is stripped and leaking it will cause the pedal to go to the floor.

4 Likes

Where do you see the leak? Front or rear wheel? Where a rubber hose connects to a caliper or wheel cylinder? Brake line connections are usually threaded, so the problem could be either or both threads of the connection. Similar to a bolt and nut. Either or both of the threads could strip. Your shop will have to figure out which of the two (or both) are stripped, then replace those parts.

With luck, the fix could mean replacing just one rubber hose. Don’t wait on this, hoping it will fix itself. Brake pressures are very high & the brakes will never work correctly until the leak is fixed.

BTW, less chance of stripping a brake connection if shop uses wrenches designed for that purpose, called “flare wrenches”. Google “flare wrench” for examples.

Welcome to the forum…

Before you changed out the master cylinder was it verified it was bypassing?? I always (unless it was leaking out the back or into the booster) will clamp off all the brake hoses so all the calipers and or wheel cylinders (depending on disc and or drum) and any out of adjustments etc are removed from the picture and see if the pedal still drops or not, that will tell you if before or after the hoses (or both lol)… plus put a panic stop pressure on the system and check for any leaks…
If it has any leaks (such as weekend warrior mentioned) the pedal will drop… I have seen loose wheel bearings cause a pedal to drop to the floor like a bad master cylinder, but the hose trick will help you find that, if done correctly…

And I have never seen a brake line strip out, it normal is because it was cross treaded while installing the hard line into whatever, or the wrong female threads… sooo you might question the skills of the mechanic working on it… Now it is much more common on a rusted brake line for the nut to seize to the line and twist the brake line, but that IS NOT stripped…

1 Like