2012 Ford F-150 - Cries Wha-Wha-Wha all the way home

My F-150 FX-2 super crew at 114K miles has started to make a “wha-wha-wha-wha” loping like noise (think from rear above 15 MPH up to when road noise drowns it out. Has easy life, a cream puff, dealer maintained. If you shift it into neutral at say 45 MPH and coast the noise CONTINUES.

Have you checked the gear oil level in the diff?

Tester

4 Likes

In addition to gear oil level… Have you checked the center bearing on the driveshaft?

3 Likes

I have not done either, since there is no oil on the differential and the vehicle is serviced by FORD on time, every time…I assume (yeah I know) that is not the problem. however, in my own defense it has occurred to me to THINK THEY have either allowed this to fall below critical levels or purposely drained it “low”. This dealer has already been caught pulling a fast one on me, so it is not beyond the realm of possibility.

As for the center bearing…this IS what I think it is. But I thought others (perhaps you) would know by experience. It is my understanding that in FORD’s infinite wisdom this bearing is NOT replaceable except by replacing the entire drive shaft. What kind of engineering is that? I think this will be my last FORD, I have had more trouble from this F-150 in 114K miles from new than I did with a SILVERADO over 15 years of towing at capacity and 248K miles…only a transmission, that I understand. Thank you for your response.

The center bearing on my Mustangs driveshaft started making a bag of nickels type noise. I replaced the entire driveshaft with a one piece aluminum unit. Cost the same as the shaft with the center bearing.

There doesn’t need to be oil on the diff for it to be low on oil.

Oil can escape from the diff thru the vent.

And unless you check the level yourself, don’t assume it was done.

Tester

1 Like

Mustangan, Thank you for the follow up note. I will look into the one shaft replacement.

Tester: of course you are right…ASSUME…makes an ass… I’ll get it checked first thing.

When we assume, it makes an ASS out of U and ME.

Tester

Checking the gear oil level in the differential is not something that is normally done at typical servicing. I would not count on, or expect then to look at it over the course of a typical oil change/tire rotation service. I’m not even sure if there’s a stated timeframe/mileage as to when you’re supposed to service the rear diff. It used to be ever 100k miles, but that was over 20 years ago.

Wha-Wha-Wha is not what you’re hearing.

If the diff is low on oil, what you’re hearing are the axle bearings going Ow-Ow-Ow!

Tester

1 Like

Thank you, taking care of it today!