2012 Chrysler Town & Country - shoddy work by body shop

I recently had the driver’s side rear quarter panel replaced on the van as well as other parts after it was hit while parked. The body shop used an adhesive to reattach the fuse box to the quarter panel, and some duct tape. I discovered this when I saw the fuse box hanging out of the back of the van right after I got it back! The shop claims that Chrysler gives them no guidance for what kind of adhesive to use. Is this true? How is this thing supposed to stay on there? Is it supposed to sit directly on the quarter panel?

It is not your job to figure it out, it is the body shops.

Sounds like a substandard repair

Go back and demand they do it right

Contact your insurance, as well

Yes this is true. Because there is no fuse box in either of the rear quarter panels. But either way the body shop you used is terrible. Did you just go on price? If so, now you know what “you get what you pay for” means. Live and learn.

The fact that op’s car was hit while parked seems to imply he might be going through his insurance . . . and it might also mean the other guy’s insurance is paying

Then again, maybe the other guy’s insurance IS going on price, so to speak

I wonder what it is that is hanging out the back of the van . I really doubt it is a fuse box.

Yeah maybe a picture or something and a little more detail on where this thing was attached. Factory body manuals usually spell out the types of adhesives used as well as the materials used for various parts. So consulting an actual Chrysler dealer with a body shop might be called for.

Considering I only count 4 wires, I kind of doubt that is a fuse box

might be some kind of a module

But I still stand by earlier assertion . . . the body shop performed a substandard repair, and you need to head back and demand satisfaction.

Have you contacted your insurance yet?

They should be in your corner

I have not yet but I certainly will Monday. and I will definitely demand satisfaction. I figure it will be easier to get it if I have an answer in my own head about how it ought to be done.

That looks like the blind spot monitor module. A new mounting bracket with adhesive pad should be installed, the rear fascia/bumper cover must be properly prepped before installing.

I don’t think your body shop is good with handling safety systems, ask your insurance company if you can take the vehicle to your dealer to complete the repair.

Thank you that makes sense. I thought it looked like it needed a bracket.

That looks like duct tape or packing tape

If so, that implies whatever mounting points the module attaches to . . . are broken

No guidance and no clue. 50/50 warranty; fifty seconds or fifty feet. Any kind of silicone sealant would hold better than that. Choosing one of the better ones would probably hold for years. The right one would probably be perfect. Any body shop could have figured out how to attach that. They just have to make some effort. That picture is perfect. Good thing the exhaust pipe wasn’t on that side or they would have used metal tape and stuck it to that!

Thanks on the sealant advice.

Thanks I had not heard about a mounting bracket. Going through insurance.

Then call them and tell them that the work is not being done correctly . The less you try to deal with the repair place might be the best plan.

Thanks good idea

I’m sorry about the sealant advice. Maybe I was trusting the body shop a little too much. There is more than one way to do a job wrong.