2012 Acura MDX - I need an engine

160k and need a new engine!!! Really???

Not that unusual at 160 k, but not common either. Both of my vehicles – so far – have over 200K miles on original engines. Other posters here boast many more miles than that on original engines. What sort of engine problems are you having that is causing your shop to recommend a replacement engine rather than a repair? Overheating incident? Oil-loss incident?

1 Like

Yes, really.

Did you run it low on oil?? Checking oil level regularly and adding oil as needed is important as it says in your owners manual. If you run low, you will destroy your engine.

Did you fail to change the timing belt?? The required change interval is in the owners manual, too. If it breaks, you will destroy your engine.

2 Likes

How do you know? If you understand why things fail then you wouldn’t be asking.

1 Like

Rather than actually asking a question, I think that he/she is venting. But, there is no denying that the OP’s failure to provide any background for his complaint makes it almost impossible to help him/her.

3 Likes

Yep, this was originally on the misnamed ask someone section.

1 Like

I think that it should be renamed.
Perhaps…
Ask someone, or simply rant to everyone, in 10 words or less–while providing no details

3 Likes

I don’t know I can’t see it from here.

1 Like

The j37 motor is very similar to the accord j35 motor. And most folks thinks they are good motors.

Perhaps if the OP parked his/her car a little closer to his computer, we might be able to see what he/she is hinting at.
:smirk:

3 Likes

We had a 1991 Toyota Tercel which needed the engine replaced at 78,000 miles. The car was 11 years old at the time, and out-of-warranty.

I’ve been telling people for years - since 2004 to be exact - that ever since the Old Man died, honda has been consistently turning into yet another ford. It’s not quite there. Yet. That’s why I switched to Toyota and never looked back.