2012 A4 with 60,000 miles on it. The computer says its time for my 65,000 service

I have a 2012 A4 Avant with about 60,000 miles on it. The computer says its time for my 65,000 service. It’s been a year since my 55,000 service. Should I wait another 5000 miles or do it now?

What’s due at the 65,000 mile service? Is the computer set to give you a preemptive “heads up” perhaps? I wonder if the main thing is an oil change if the oil life indicator thinks you’ve been a little hard on it perhaps…

oil & oil filter, brake check. I believe the computer gives the heads up every 10,000 miles or 1 year whichever comes first. I suppose getting the oil changed is not a biggie and I may as well do it now.

I agree, better safe than sorry, and oil is about the cheapest “better safe than sorry” insurance there is :slight_smile:

I don’t agree. Sure it doesn’t hurt to change oil earlier, you could even change it after every 500 miles… but why not follow the user manual/computer. Once you start changing the intervals of oil changes you will need to keep it up in the future.

If the computer says it’s time to change oil at 65K miles and the computer is programmed to remind you again after the next 10K miles will you remember to change it 5K miles earlier because you changed the oil change interval with the previous oil change or will you now drive 15K without an oil change until you get to the next computer recommendation 75K miles?

Did you drive only 5000 miles in the last year?

I don’t think you’ll need to. From an Audi dealership in Colorado:

The Audi “Service Due” indicator light:

So how will you know when you need to come in for your next maintenance? Your Audi will be due for service every 10,000 miles or one year from your last maintenance, whichever comes first. An indicator light on your dashboard, that resembles a wrench, will activate when you reach your next service interval. The “Service Due” indicator light is a friendly reminder that service is due. Don’t be alarmed, it is not the same thing as the “Check Engine” light. Your service technician will reset the “Service Due” indicator light after every scheduled maintenance interval, so it will accurately display when your vehicle is due for its next service.

I know the dealership isn’t always the best source of information, but seeing as it’s not trying to immediately sell me an oil change plus the inevitable 3 page list of crap that doesn’t need to be done… :wink:

If your engine sports variable valve timing, that function is very demanding on the oil. If so, suggest to error on the side of caution on the oil change interval. Don’t go beyond the miles interval in the “hard use” schedule for oil & filter changes. Make sure the proper spec oil is used too.

Thanks for all the feedback. According to Audi and also restated by @bravesfan314 resetting the “service due” indicator will simply cause it to re-trigger in 1 year or in 10,000 miles, whichever comes first. I have only driven 5,000 miles in the past year. I do not drive it particularly hard. However, since an oil change is relatively inexpensive so I will do it now. I appreciate the feedback and the opportunity to air my concern.

1 Like

i have a newer leased honda and i get syn oil changes for $20 at dealer so i get emails about service. i just got one that said my service is overdue so i went out and checked my oil life and it is at 50%. maybe the service counter is keeping track of something else? it has been less than 1 yr. not sure what the service trigger is for this dealer? profits? car is 22 months old. not really ready to break down yet.

Getting the service now is a smart choice. Audi tells you to change oil at least once per year, and you are meeting that requirement. Following Audi’s maintenance schedule gives you the best chance for a long, trouble free life.

“Hard” use doesn’t mean what you probably imagine; i.e. the typical teenage driver’s rapid accelerations and screeching halts. “Hard” use for an engine has more to do with the duration of your typical drive. If it is 25 miles to work, and 25 miles back again, that is very easy on an engine b/c most of the operating time is when the engine is fully warmed up. Even better if you drive 250 freeway miles every day. That’s very “easy” use. “Hard” use is when you drive 2 miles to work, and 2 miles back again. 1/2 mile to the grocery store. etc. In other words if a lot of your car’s usage is for short trips, less than 5 miles one way, that is defined as “hard” use. That is tough service for a gasoline engine b/c the oil doesn’t reach operating temperature long enough to burn off the water & other contaminants. For that type of service the owner should observe the “hard” (sometimes called “severe”) use maintenance schedule. This is especially true if the engine sports variable valve timing. Failure to follow the proper maintenance schedule w/variable valve technology can quickly result in very expensive problems, including the need to replace the engine.

Good point, thanks. It’s going in for service next week.