2011 Kia Sportage 87 or 88 octane?

So…

It’s been stated that any car 2001 and new can use 88 octane gasoline (15% ethanol).

It’s stated in my owners manual that I need to use 87 octane. Also states that anything over 10% ethanol will damage the engine.

I know the rule is "follow the manual - but has anyone found different?

2011 Kia Sportage EX
2.4 L 4 Cylinder
AWD

If anyone has, you likely won’t find them here.

Follow the manual. It is written with the info from the car’s engineers. No one knows better, especially on the internet. So if it says don’t use more than E10, don’t.

7 Likes

+1 for Mustangman

Hyundai’s and Kia’s already have enough issues to deal with, follow the manual, if it says NO E15+ then don’t use it… E10 or less only!!

1 Like

10% or less Ethanol. If I am getting gas for my boat or lawn equipment, I will “top off” my vehicle with non-ethanol, 90 octane, gas.

1 Like

I store my generator with non-alcohol gas with some StaBil. I change it yearly. It will run fine on E10 but that gas doesn’t store very well even with StaBil.

Here’s another vote to follow the manual. Why risk expensive damage to save a few bucks?

2 Likes

You’re not really saving much with 88 E15 anyway. If it causes fues consumption to increase to 1.03 times what it was then the savings are small.