2011 Jeep Patriot - Valve through piston

Thanks; I didn’t follow Buicks. I knew Buick had overhead valves
back in the 30’s. Maybe the attack was even earlier, but he
mentioned it when talking about the Y Job’s engine, a stock inline
6, with the optional dual carbs. I preferred those old Buick
engines over any 6 built before the 60’s.

Does the Honda Goldwing’s motor count as a flathead?

The Compass/Patriot/Caliber don’t really meet any halfway modern definition of reliable. Also, the valves are chain driven.

Pretty unusual for a modern day engine provided it hadn’t ever run low on oil or overheated, and was given its routine maintenance on schedule, especially the oil and filter changes. The sort of stuff that causes this are

• problem w/cam belt/chain
  • problem w/lifter
  • problem w/valve seat
  • problem w/valve spring
  • defective valve , crack, metal fatigue etc

I do love my big inch 1944 flathead Harley though. Not powerful or efficient but enough torque to pull tree stumps with and can be “kick started” by hand.

Just for hoots I ran a 19 second quarter mile with it once and that’s with a foot clutch/hand shift so that’s not too shabby for a dinosaur. I cringe at 4k RPM because that motor was screaming and sounded like it was going to let go at any time.

The nice thing about a classic Harley is that it has enough tolerance that you can rebuild the motor as often as you have to.

The bad news is how often it needs to be rebuilt (every ~30,000 miles or so).

You have GOT to be kidding . . . ?!

2 Likes

Whether you like the Patriot or not, the engine is usually solid. Overall reliability is around 4 out of 5 rating. Granted, that puts it in the average category, but at least they aren’t sticking in engines the factory knows are a defective design. In it’s class, it’s one of the lowest priced, so that’s pretty good.

according to who . . . ?!

If you have a different report, put it up.

You’re not going to substantiate your own claim? Why not just admit you made it up?

I’m not trying to pick on this too much because I can’t be bothered to track down any objective data, but I gotta say… the engine? Underpowered and not as fuel efficient as it should be for its size. Engine reliability? Mine broke when the overheating CVT computer made it rev higher than normal in the mountains. Started knocking before it even hit the red line.

It’s a cheap (in every sense of the word) Chrysler product. Nothing more.

1 Like

well, there are 2 owners of busted jeep motors on this website. pretty small sample size. i heard jeep made more than 2.

Please don’t change the subject

I might point out this is now the second time I’m asking you what report you were referring to . . . ?

Found thiss.

1 Like

Search online reviews.The reviewers, CR, KBB, others, don’t like the vehicle overall, but have no gripe on reliability. Of the 4 recalls, they were for body (2 airbags, one window, some w/ a rivet missing in the steering column.). Its weak mechanical spot is front suspension, showing probs over 100K, if used off pavement. Owners usually find it a reliable car to drive, with some reporting CVT transmission problems.

@mperry_153483. All Buicks, including the Y job, from 1931 through 1952 were overhead valve inline 8 cylinder. The 1953 Buick Special used the straight 8 though the Super and Roadmaster received a newly developed V-8. The straight 8 disappeared for good in 1954.
It’s interesting that through the 1930s until 1949, only Chevrolet and Buick had overhead valve engines. Pontiac and Oldsmobile each offered a flathead 6 and a flathead 8 and these engines were unique to the division. Cadillac had a flathead V-8 through the 1948 . model year. Oldsmobile and Cadillac got OHV V-8 engines in 1949, although Olds still offered the flathead 6 through 1950. Pontiac didn’t lose the flathead 6 and flathead 8 engines until 1955. Chrysler corp still had flathead 6 cylinder engines available in the Dodge and Plymouth lines until 1960.
If the OP with the Patriot had the Godevil flathead 4, the engine wouldn’t have swallowed a valve.

lol Very true, but 150K miles would have been exceptional for its longevity, not its early demise. I remember the rejoicing when cars rolled over for the first 100K. I went on a few rides to watch the odometer spin to 0.

Well I’m just saying that db and others have been around here for years and some of us have come to respect their opinions. Some are shop owners, mechanics, engineers, etc. I may not agree with all of their opinions but rarely would challenge them to prove how they arrived at it. Sometimes folks like Edmunds, CR, etc. just don’t see certain issues that a shop would.

Yes, possibly the infamous “limp mode”. It jams the car into first gear. I hate that 'feature". Our Caravan did similar… was shocked to find the GF drove it to the dealer, first gear, on the freeway (instead of thru town). It was a $20 sensor failure.

Out of curiosity, were there any warning lights / symptoms, or was it sudden? Chrysler had probs with several different new tranny designs in the late 90’s on, the CVT being one. Owners point to inadequate oil changes and an undersized oil cooler. (The factory manual said 100K oil changes, when owners recommend 50.)