2011 Ford Mustang - Fuel question

Ary, I have had both motorcycles and high performance cars for many years that require Premium fuel. I am wondering how much previous fuel is in the line of the standard pumps before the premium I ordered actually begins to flow into the tank. Many motorcycle tanks are fairly small, So I am just curious how much regular or mid-grade is left from the previous consumer. Thank you.

Not enough to worry about .
A simple web search finds that the American Petroleum Institute says the hose holds about 1/3 of a gallon .

1 Like

About a third of a gallon. https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB122944043385810527#:~:text=According%20to%20the%20American%20Petroleum,(not%20to%20mention%20overpriced). A typical motorcycle’s tank holds 4 1/2 gallons. Do your own math and decide if it’s worth worrying.

Back in the stone age I worked the pumps at a station near Boston. They basically let us teens have the run of the joint. Each night before I’d stuff the bills down the safe hole in the floor I would move my car to all of the pumps and empty the lines into the tank. I got a gallon or two doing that. These were much older designs than today’s pumps. Ah, the good old days.

There are a few gas stations with a nozzle for each grade. It is station specific, not brand specific in my experience. If you are concerned look for one of those!