2011 Chevy Malibu Code P0776 & P0700

I have a 2011 Chevy Malibu, with a little over 100k miles on it. A couple weeks ago it started acting a little funny when I would shift into reverse after starting it after sitting for a while. I thought it might have been due to temperature as it didn’t do it after the car had warmed up or when it was warmer out.

Yesterday it started acting up really bad, will not shift out of first gear, and will not shift into reverse, and the check engine light came on. I was able to get it up to O’Reilly’s to get the codes. It came back with 2 separate codes.

P0700 - Transmission Control Module (TCM) Requested MIL Illumination
P0776 - Clutch Pressure Control (PC) Solenoid - Stuck Off

The guy there seemed to think that the second code was probably caused by the first one, and most likely the TCM needs replaced. It makes sense to me, but before I head down this path I want to get some input, as it is a little over $300 for the part.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I think that you may need to see the dealer or a good independent transmission shop on this as there may be a service bulletin out about this particular problem.

2011 Chevrolet Malibu Power Train TSBs

TSB Number: PI-1131 NHTSA Number: 10054488 TSB Date: December 1, 2013 Date Added to File: January 29, 2014
Failing Component:
Power Train
Summary:
GM: some vehicles may experience various missing gears. Various DTCs may be set such as P0776, P0796, P0878, P0873, P2714 or P2723. This may be caused by non-functioning pressure control solenoid.

Ok, thanks for the information. How does it work with repairs on service bulletins? Is all the cost squarely on me?

Also, does this bulletin mean that the transmission would need replaced?

Yes

Assuming your car is out of warranty, you pay everything

One more thing . . . wherever you take your car, pay for them to diagnose it first. Do NOT lead them by the nose, telling them to do such and such specific repair

With any luck, all you will need is the solenoid

In any case, the mechanic will need to spend some time diagnosing the car, before he determines what the problem is, and his proposed repair

The reason why you should not go to a shop and simply pay them to perform the repairs mentioned in the bulletin . . . if that wasn’t your problem, now you’re an unhappy customer, who’s spent money on an unsuccessful repair. If the shop is paid to actually diagnose the problem first, and it doesn’t pan out, it’s on them to make things right. Then they can refund you some money, or discount the cost of the actual repair which does fix the problem

In most cases a service bulletin is on the customer unless it’s related to a recall, legitimate warranty issue, or a campaign. A campaign is a voluntary recall with age and miles limits.

You could contact GM and politely ask about a Good Will warranty. You should not hold your breath over a positive response but it doesn’t hurt to try. The worst they can do is say no.

Earlier before I posted here, I had read somewhere to disconnect the battery for 5-10 minutes to see if the TCM would start functioning again, was a solution for some others. This did nothing but clear the code. How soon will it start sending the code again? If I take it in and the engine light is not on, will they be able to tell anything?

It’s possible for a code to be present even if the CEL is not illuminated. It’s also possible for problems to exist which will not set a code. Not everything is a black and white issue.

A few years back the trans in a car belonging to one of my kids got a little balky. My scan showed nothing, the Ford dealer found nothing (twice…), and a scan/test drive by a longtime friend who’s been a lifelong transmission rebuilder also found nothing. No CEL at any time, no codes, nothing.

The problem turned out to be a flaky pressure control solenoid with no hard failure. That’s just one example. :frowning:

I’d take the car to a good local transmission shop (not a chain) for proper diagnosis.

You could ask the dealer about some goodwill assistance as mentioned above, but I think the odds are slim given the mileage of the car, especially if you haven’t been using the dealer all along for your maintenance and other repairs.

In general, a TSB just contains instructions for fixing common problems. It’s not a recall, which would be paid for by the manufacturer.

Took it to CarX here in town, the only place in town that was able to get it in today. Said they couldn’t get anything to come back on the diagnostic other than the P0776 code - Solenoid 2 Stuck Off. Said it could be a valve body issue where the valve is stuck. The closest transmission shop is about 20 miles away and waiting on a call back from them on costs for rebuild and replacements. Sounds like that is most likely what will be needed.

Hey jayman did you fix your car. I have 2010 Chevy Malibu LT and same problem. Already got the solenoid sensor but still waiting for my car to be towed to my house, because it broke down 300 miles away from my home. Let me know please

A 300 mile tow bill will probably cost more than it would have cost to get the transmission fixed where it is.

Nah I don’t think it’s transmission but will see I’ll try to change it by the end of the week