2010 Volvo S80 - Why different pressures in Canada?

Volvo recommends 36 psi for USA cars, and 38 psi for Canada cars, same tire size.
Why?

Is that in the owners manual? Very odd.

It is colder in Canada.

2 Likes

Why aren’t you asking Volvo? Doesn’t Volvo know?

Warmer in International Falls, MN.

Look at the map. Toronto is farther south than Minneapolis. I suspect if you read the fine print it may not be the sae system, like gas where they use the imperial gallon or liters like the uk. But that would be Kpa and a lot higher than 38.

He doesn’t know.

It seems to be unusual but insignificant.

I would ask are the tires the same for both the American and Canadian models. The sizes may be the same but the brands might be different. If they are different then maybe Volvo recommends the different pressures to account for the different riding and driving characteristics.

Maybe it’s the exchange rate🤪

6 Likes

Maybe the Canadians want to increase gas mileage slightly.

Notice that the OP’s initial post is contradicted by what Nevada545 posted - that the Canadian pressure spec is 38/32 depending on how many people are in the vehicle. The dual spec is common in Europe, but against US regulations. I suspect the pressure selected for the US market is a compromise.

5 Likes

That makes sense.

Did not know that. I do remember in the bias plié days manufacturers would advise different tire pressures for different loads and/or towing.

There was a person here some time ago who was confused about the tire pressure on their BMW calling for different PSI dependings on the number of person occupancies .