2010 Toyota Corolla/ What repairs should I tackle first?

If someone’s never wrenched before, then this is NOT a good option. Could cost more money than a dealer.

3 Likes

Absolutely not an option for Sandysprings just by looking at his Profile page . He says he is not a mechanical type. Plus it seems that making decision’s is also not a strong point.

I put suspension work just after exhaust work in the ‘I’ll pay a good shop to do it’ category.

1 Like

OK… The noise you here in this video is what I’m dealing with, or my wife is, actually. And she wnts it GONE!!! I have been told it’s the camshaft intake or the camshaft pulley. Either way it’s camshaft related. 2 different mechanics say minimum 1,000.00 for parts and labor. FEEDBACK Please.

https://www.reddit.com/r/COROLLA/comments/yx8k9q/2010_toyota_corolla_s_noise_goes_away_after/?rdt=45119

Do you not trust either mechanic? If not, find one you do trust.

1 Like

fyi, nothing I see in the list of proposed services you posted above will correct a camshaft-related problem. That’s an engine problem, not driveline or suspension

Camshaft problems related to the variable valve timing function can make weird noises. Suggest to surf through prior posts here about that function, you may find something that matches what you are hearing, search link upper right this page.

$1,000.00 is reasonable to replace the camshaft gear assembly, they are known to make a brief knocking sound during start-up.

Your wife wants the engine noise corrected but you asked about replacing suspension parts?

1 Like

Firestone can have it’s place, but most do not do internal engine work, maybe timing belts, but nothing with timing chains, I only know a hand full of mechanics in my 30 mile area out of about 25-30 shops that even have a mechanic able to do that job correctly…

Your best bet is to find a independent shop for the cam gear assembly repair, and they would probably do a good job on the rest of your vehicle also…

2 Likes

If this 14-year old vehicle has engine problems, in addition to steering and suspension problems, it will likely cost too much to put back in tip-top shape unless you can DIY. Since you can’t, the smart thing to do is sell this car “as-is” on Craigslist for whatever you can get for it, and put the money toward a new or CPO vehicle.

Someone who can DIY will buy this, fix it up, and drive it for many more years.

4 Likes

My 2009 has been making the same noise needing the same repair for almost 100K miles now, one day I will get around to repairing it…

The OP needs to have a proper inspection to see what all the vehicle needs, top to bottom, and then get a proper estimate of everything with it broke down to required repairs, suggested repairs and maintenance to see if they wish to go forward with any repairs or sell it/trade it in on a newer modal…

1 Like

NONE!
First, prices are ridiculous.
Second, what they “recommend” is almost guaranteed not needed thus pure BS. They pull this stunt on innocent customers all the time “due to age/mileage”.
Just an example: what can possibly be wrong with the sway bar?!? Bushings - possible but the bar - no way. What can be wrong with the lower control arms?!? Bushings? Possible. Ball joints? Possible. But both are replaceable separately for a fraction of the cost not to mention that for this car, you probably don’t need OEM parts. AM ball joint can be purchased online for $31…

1 Like

I already covered that and how the prices are wrong on a lot of that sheet, I can assure you I know that sheet and system all to well…

And a lot of shops do not use customer parts… most real shops anyway…
Don’t think the OP is able to DIY the repairs…

Again, I already went into detail about the est being wrong…

5 Likes

DISREGARD THE POSTED LIST… It is no longer valid or a priority.

1 Like

@sandysprings6700_169115 Using Capital letters on the web usualy means yelling . Not sure why you are yelling at George .

George referred to the list of suspension problems, rather than the new problem with the noise.

I’ve posted this before. But years ago, I needed to go to the dealer to get part of my exhaust fixed. The local Muffler shop said they didn’t have the part and couldn’t get one for a week. Made an appointment for the next day. Told service writer exactly what I needed. An hour later he comes out and hands me an estimate of well over $1,500 in repairs they say I needed. A good portion of that was for a timing belt. Not one of those items needed to be addressed. The timing belt I just did a week earlier. They were basing their estimate the fact I’ve never had my vehicle serviced there before and thus I NEEDED these repairs. I told the service write to shove it and give my Pathfinder back. Drove off. I drove 30 miles north past that dealer to by my next Pathfinder.

Wait for professionals to flag your post. How dare you question their integrity and expertise?!? LOL

While I can tell you were definitely annoyed by the experience , that’s not something I’d complain about myself. The dealership staff is only recommending that work b/c their records say it hasn’t been done and is past due. If it happened to me, I’d think of it as the dealership shop was intending to provide me a service, but since I’d already done it, it’s a service I didn’t need. I’d just tell them I’d already done the other items and if I concurred otherwise, to proceed with the needed exhaust work.

I’ve had trouble myself some years ago w/a dealership shop, but in that case somebody there wasn’t telling the truth. That is something I can’t abide.

I disagree with that. I didn’t give all the details. One other thing they said - I needed cam seals. And their reasoning for that was there was some spilt oil. They came to the illogical conclusion I needed new cam seals. I also never asked them to do an inspection. I just wanted the exhaust fixed. Nothing more. This is NOT a good way to do business. Not by a long shot.

I understand. But this is just part of basic American modern business tactics. They are in business to make money, and you (the customer) has money, and they want it. I encounter this sort of aggressive sales tactics from most of my vendors. I can’t walk into the grocery store without having to make my way past a maze of product displays. The hair stylist, the spa, gym, its pretty much all the same. I have to say “no, thank you” a lot is all. And ignore a lot of rolling eyeballs … lol …

1 Like