2010 Camry LE Bumpy Ride

My 93 f250 work truck was a rough ride, If somebody else wanted a ride or to use it I would say hope your fillings are in good shape. We test drove a rav 4 then a crv, I think the crv had lower profile tires, did not notice tar strips in the road with the rav 4, the crv we heard every one, thump thump kind of sound.

1 Like

I had one set of Mastercraft snows, rode like the wheels were square.

I had a 2010 Toyota Camry SE ( dark gray) and it had a very firm suspension. The steering wheel felt as though it wasnt power-steering but rather the opposite. It was a beautiful car, very reliable, but I could not stand the firm steering-wheel for long, so I traded it for a 2012 Toyota Camry SE ( pearl White), which seems to have no flaws.

The 2010 Model I had was boaty ( assuming “boaty” means floating on top of the sea). Very bouncy ride, which I thought was good during rocky road trips. This boaty ride-feeling made driving over lumps in the road less noticeable.

That’s all I can share with you, as I am a novice to cars, but can testify to owning a Camry.

Lots of newer cars have low profile tires on alloy rims. The low profile tires make for a harsher ride. The alloy rims are probably heavier than the steel rims that nowadays unfortunately appear only on the most basic trim level, if at all. The total wheel weight of alloy rims plus wider, low profile tires is greater than the basic trim level’s steel rim and higher profile, narrower tires. This extra wheel weight makes the suspension less supple, contributing more to the harshness, as well as slowing the car’s acceleration.

C&D and Motor Trend each have 3 women in editorial and writing positions.

I mean, I take your point, but there are women in automotive journalism (I didn’t include Jalopnik because it’s not a “major magazine” but they have several female writers/editors as well including Stef Schrader who edits their racing section), and they, too, want cars that handle well.

Yeah, the old American land barges were comfortable, but they handled like oil tankers. Look at this chase scene:

Look at all the body roll, nose dive in braking, etc. That car is junk. Great for highway cruising, but as soon as a turn comes up, look out.

Unless you pay through the nose for fancy tech like adjustable suspension, then there will always be a tradeoff between comfort and handling. Personally, I’ll go for the handling and it’s not just for fun - a car that handles well is safer. When that idiot cuts me off and I yank the wheel to avoid getting hit, I want the car to turn immediately, not wait for the 9-hour-long transitional roll. :wink:

Excellent points and I did not mean to be overly harsh on CD and the rest. I read them all for 40 years (sounds like a long time even to me) and I am lucky to know some of the monthly feature writers a bit, but none are women now that Jean Jennings is gone. What I think each of those publications could use is a person who represents the average Jane and Joe who want to get a feel for which sedan or crossover might be the best overall for their lifestyle and budget, not just the best of almost identically equipped cars driven on a skidpad or closed course.

What’s the consensus on the def’n of a “boaty ride”? I take that to mean how it feels when you ride in a water-ski boat, or any boat without much of a keel, where it sort of feels like you are bobbing and twisting left and right at random due to the wave motion, in addition to moving forward in the direction you want under motor power.

I had an intern at work, letting him drive was my concept of a boat ride, drift left adjust drift right adjust all the time, no concept of driving straight.

To me it’s more like riding in a row boat without a keel. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I love to watch old ('50s-'60s) cop shows. The behavior of their cars in chases is
 let’s call it “dynamic”. In the old days, in order to make the chases more dramatic, I’ve read that the “set” guys used to sometimes remove shock absorbers. I always called it a “floaty-boat ride”, just a slight variation of “boaty ride”.

Yeah, I recall those shows. One starred Broderick Crawford I think. Forget the name of that show, but I used to really enjoy it as a kid. That Detroit Metal did have a tendency to lean in turns 
 lol 

Boaty is the extra bouncing after the road undulations should be damped out.

1 Like

I agree, and include in that description lateral instability (crosswind sensitivity) and rolling on corners.

@George_San_Jose1The TV show you may have watched as a kid was Highway Patrol starring Broderick Crawford.

Oh yes, that was it. I always enjoyed tuning in to Highway Patrol as a kid. I think it came on right after Whirlybirds, another show I liked, along with Sky King. It was so long ago I can’t remember any of the Highway Patrol plots, but I do remember Broderick Crawford was in it. Thanks for the reminder.

I finally go some new tires for my 2010 Camry. They made a world of difference. It is a completely different car. I bought some Continental Pure Contacts. They are V rated, which is the standard rating for this car. The it came with were cheap H rated tires. Now it rides great.

1 Like

Congratulations. And sincere thanks for taking the time to post back. Not only is it good to hear a happy ending, but we all learn from the feedback.

Happy motoring.

1 Like

The new tires are available with either H or V ratings. H rated tires are one step below V rated tires for speed rating. Calling H rated tires cheap is incorrect IMO. There are a lot of speed ratings lower than H.

I didn’t mean to say that all H rated tires are cheap. The dealer put cheap H rated tires on my car. But based on my experience, I would never get tires that are speed rated less than what the manufacture recommends. For the 2010 Camry le it is a V rated tire.

I just looked at the 2010 Camry owner’s manual online, and it seems that Toyota does indeed spec out V-rated tires for both the 4-cylinder and 6-cylinder . . . P215/60R16 94V

Are you saying that Toyota shipped new cars to the dealers with H-rated tires installed, but the owner’s manual actually called for V-rated tires, as far as replacement tires go?

No, I bought a used car from an online dealer. The tires were brand new, but the wrong tires for the car (also lower quality). The correct OEM tires made a huge difference.