2009 Toyota Corolla - Clicking Front Axles

When I go to Central Florida for business in the winter, the folks there hibernate when it goes under 50.

2 Likes

Maybe, maybe not. Hard to say. When the CV joint failed on my VW Rabbit, there was no prior warning at all. No noises, nothing. The only reason I can offer why the Rabbit CV failed is b/c I mostly drove the Rabbit about town, but the trip where it failed involved a 500 mile freeway drive at 65-75 mph. It failed on a 30 mph rural road about 15 miles after exiting the freeway. It was an inconvenient failure, thatā€™s for sure. Fortunately it was summer, so no cold inclement weather to deal with.

As for the OPā€™s situation, the only thing we know with certainty is it makes noise intermittently & hasnā€™t failed yet. Iā€™m not dissā€™ing your ā€˜no-worriesā€™ comment, just offering an alternative view of the situation. Iā€™d definitely do something about it if it was may car that I used on a lot of far from home freeway trips. If however it was a car I used mostly for trips not too far from home, Iā€™d just keep a weather ear on the situation, only do something about it if and when it got noticeably worse. I think the OP has the benefit of a wide range of advice here, knows the driving conditions they expect their car to hndle, and can now make the decision to repair or wait themselves.

OP: That doesnā€™t sound like a differential problem to me. Make sure the transmission fluid is at the proper level and in good condition though.