2009 Subaru Outback - Engine oil

I found this old topic while searching for a reason my 09 OB suddenly lost its oil. From reading this I can vouch for the veracity of her son because that is exactly what mine has done and I did have full records of oil levels etc. Last night about midnight travelling home on a motorway there was a slight hesitation but it picked up then lost power. I was at the top of the hill and was able to coast into the city until it failed. Then there was a lot of smoke. I checked and found the dipstick had blown out and oil was coating all the engine compartment. It had just had an oil change and was full that morning. Now there was nothing in it. It had just passed road warranty that day and had been driving great until this happened. There was no warning and is still no check warning light. Nothing else seems to be wrong. Fortunately I belong to our Automobile Assoc. who provided a flatdeck to my preferred garage at midnight and I am waiting for their report now.

Hereā€™s a request, if you bring up an old discussion, please provide a one or two line summary to prevent having to go back and read what happened years ago.

At any rate son is exonerated. Oil just blew out. I stand by my final comment though that it is much happier being a whirlpool washer than a subie. Happens to the best sooner or later.

Draining the transaxle final drive by mistake during an engine oil change and then overfilling the engine is not that rare an event. I suspect if the dipstick blew out it may have done so because of that reason.
Oil pressure or the lack of will have nothing to do with the check engine light. It will have everything to do with the lack of oil pressure light.

The reason the son is suspect is because like many mature adults no attention is paid to things like oil lights, temperature gauges, and so on. How many people over the years have posted on this forum about a botched Jiffy Lube oil change leading to a trashed engine and they have all sworn the lack of oil pressure lamp never illuminatedā€¦

I have seen many damaged or trashed engines on towed in vehicles which had rods through the block and all types of other serious damage and yet the engine was full of oil and had a new oil filter. Meaning run out of oil due to neglect and misguided thinking that all will be well with oil and filterā€¦

1 Like