2009 Mexican Sienna with transponder keys has bad battery

Sorry, I clumsily used the correct spelling in Spanish.

1 Like

I have seen it both ways, I prefer the spellings and pronunciations I grew up with, should have included a :wink:

Yeah, I will go to my grave with a 9 planet solar system. They did not ask my permission to delete Pluto and I am not asking theirs to list Pluto as a planet. :smiley:

1 Like

Could be there are 9 planets, but pluto has been demoted!
“Earlier this month, NASA issued a press release stating that it’s likely that our solar system has a ninth planet—even if it’s proving difficult to find.”

Next time I go to the big city, I may see if Autozone has a memory saver. But, the problem is when I was using the battery powered tire pump recently, the place you plug it in was a bit intermittent. So, I also can’t trust that method.

Speaking of getting old, I will know I am old when I can’t learn new things any more. I asked a simple question here, and learned a lot in the various answers. That is one reason I like this board.

I am well aware of that fact. They first announced this several years ago. And, I did not accept the demotion. That was my point. People who play games bore me, and when they suddenly change their mind on how many planets we have, they are playing games.

Putting things in the proper box is a a favorite human pastime, unfortunately Pluto did not fit in the box, Just someones definition, We are up to 0 degrees, very bored, don’t want to do anything this holiday except tv and computer, Remember this song? Reminds me of our conversation,

I am delighted to report I never heard that song before. :smiley:
My view is a bit different, It has to do with people being credible or not. Decades ago, the so-called experts announced Pluto was a planet, and that they knew what they were doing.

Many years later, with no known change in Pluto, they decided, well, it wasn’t really a planet. So, obviously they did not know what they were doing when they said it was a planet. But, now we are supposed to believe they know what they are doing when they say it is not a planet.

It’s sort of like believing a press release from VW after what they did with the mileage vs. smog false filing.

I do not chase toddlers off my grass waving my cane at them. It helps there is no sidewalk where I live and no grass. :smiley:

And, also I do not use a cane.

4 Likes

Yeah its cold again here but I still have to go out and get some computer ink.

When dealing with all these types of question about how many planets there really are, or if there are little space aliens out there somewhere, etc., I just like to think what difference does it make? Truth is truth and our opinion one way or the other does not change what the facts are. We may not know what the facts are and maybe will someday, but our opinion is not going to have one iota of impact on moving the planet out of orbit.

"I am delighted to report I never heard that song before."
Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

I meant tongue in cheek that I was glad I never heard that song before. Sort of like THE LITTLE TEAPOT song for babies. Not that I disagree with it. Most people are mindless products of their native culture, and thus find it hard to move to a totally different culture. As I well know.

Well, new battery installed. Looking at it, I could not see how to connect the charger solidly so I wouldn’t lose memory. But, once I started taking off the mount, I could see how to do it.

So, like a walk in the park. When I got it running, scanner gave a green light on all monitors still ready. Part of the worry for me was any time you do something new, no matter how simple, there is a chance of botching it. As I learned with my new floor jack months ago, doing something new you don’t even know what mistakes you can make until you make them.

I walked to the battery place that I knew of. He did not have a 24F but said if I brought my car he would find another size to fit it. No, just no.

There was a second place, run by a young woman. Not open yet. So, I walked way down the hill to the last hope. Yep, he had an LTH 24F. 1350 pesos, around $70 USD. With a 400 peso core deposit.

I told him I’d take it, and would walk back to the Centro to get a taxi to take me home with it. He asked his teen-age son to drive me. They have a pretty vehicle, a bright red Nissan, not a car nor a mini-van. Not sure if SUV nor cross-over, but a pretty thing. The lad carried the battery to the car, and at my house he carried it from the vehicle to my sun roof. It is normal here to offer a tip for such service, but he vehemently rejected a tip. Good kid! This wasn’t just because I was a customer. In this culture, they show great respect for old men.

I checked the voltage with a digital meter before starting it, and it read 15.5. I don’t know if the meter cal is that far off, but will be checking it. Once I started the car, the live scanner called it 14.1 volts, and in a few minutes it went up to 14.3

I was satisfied so I took my wife to the weekly regional market a mile or two away, to buy her goodies for the week. And, I bought corn and wheat for her pet chickens.

BY THE WAY, the bad battery was made February 2015. It lasted 34 months from being made. I can’t criticize Mexican batteries, because several years ago, I had a high priced US battery fail at the same approximate time.

I am seriously contemplating an AGM battery, but at that price need a lot more information on reliability. But, I can’t risk being stranded out in the boonies driving to the border. This risk transcends cost issues.

Two issues came up. The guy who sold me that battery told me one had half an hour after disconnecting the cables before the computer lost its mind.

And, the cousin insisted the 24F was a battery for electronics and has 17 cells in it.

Both of these things sound totally contrary to everything I know. But, over my life when I have pooh-poohed something like that just because it sounds wrong, I have not just eaten crow, but road kill crow that was run over by at least a thousand double trailer Freight-liners before it hit my plate. :smiley:

One time I remember well. In Receiving Inspection in the electronic factory, a woman was doing a sampling on purchased resistors. One day she told me every time she measured a certain resistor, it read differently. I informed her from my lofty superior knowledge that was not possible.

From that humiliating proof of my foolishness, I became the company expert on thermistors which change resistance with temperature. :smiley:

My guess is the heat in Mexico greatly shortens the life of the batteries. Batteries in the Northeastern United States are usually good for at least 5 years

I live in the mountains in the Central Highlands. The top of my water cistern is 5740 feet above sea level. Each thousand feet you go up, the average temp drops around 3 degrees F. It really doesn’t get that hot here, not like back in the Midwest. It might on a really hot day in the hot months, April and May, get to 95 F. but that is not common. Most of the year, a hot day will be below 90 F.

So, I have no idea why batteries are so short-lived.

The only theory I have come up with is maybe, and I emphasize maybe, they assume all of Mexico is hot, so they sell hot climate batteries which may be made differently. And, again maybe, they don’t last as long. When I first started driving here, I had a Snow Zone battery, and it lasted a long time. Like you, they lasted so long in the North that I would simply replace them out at five years of age.

Glad to see it worked out for you. Batteries are strange chemical reactions, and my experience is they don’t like large temperature swings. Less than 4 years sounds like a pretty short life for a battery, but there it is. I had a car I bought used, replaced the battery with the same size (without double checking the specified size) and the new battery was gone in 4 years. Costco guaranteed it for 5 or 6, so I got an adjustment from them and did check the specs. The size I had was wrong, much lower amps. The newer one lasted fine for about 6 years, and I sold the car.

The battery in my Miata is the original from November 2001. It’s in the trunk on Miatas, away from engine heat, and I live in coastal California where the weather is very mild all the time. I’m waiting to see how long it will last. The car is my toy car so I can get by without it if it poops out, and my AAA is paid up.

I think maybe those rough Mexican roads you drive on may have something to do with it. I think batteries don’t like being banged around too much.

Just a theory. I don’t have any facts to back it up.

Could be. I do drive slowly across the bumps and at one time my 2002 Sienna did not need aligned after several years of driving on those terrible roads. Interesting thought, thanks for suggestion.

@wentwest 16 year old battery still working? That is fantastic!

just replaced my kids battery. it worked till the other day. and than it did not work. would not crank using the jump pack