2009 Hyundai Santa Fe fuel gauge doesn’t match the driving

Filled up my car with gas. Drove 5.5 miles each way on the same day. It was snowing therefore a 15 minute drive took 45 mins each way. Got in the car 6 days later and the gas level was at quarter tank.
Weather has been in the 30s and parked in a garage the entire time. What happened for that loss of gas. There is no leakage.

Fuel gauge issues are a known problem for that model. https://www.carcomplaints.com/Hyundai/Santa_Fe/2009/accessories-interior/fuel_gauge_sensor_not_working_properly.shtml The fix is to replace the sending unit, which isn’t cheap, typically $440. Alternatively, you can simply live with it since the vehicle is 11 years old, and make sure you never drive more than a couple hundred miles between fill ups. Since your Santa Fe has a City range of abut 350 miles that should provide a sufficient margin.

2 Likes

I had the same issue with my 2007 Santa Fe. I had to have the fuel tank sensor replaced. The biggest PITA was the location of it. I did see videos of people doing it themselves. I didn’t pay near 440.00. The stress of worrying about the gas certainly made it worth the price.