2009 Honda Civic Hybrid - "Transmission Bands"

We took our previously loved, but ready for trade-in, civic hybrid into the shop because it could not go anymore. Twice before, in it’s five years with us, it needed the transmission fixed (several hundred $)because of a jerking problem that seemed to be transmission related. Now, the mechanics drained the tran fluid and “stuff” also came out. They think the “stuff” is “tansmission bands” and that the tran, needs to be replaced. That is $3000. and we already had an appt to trade it in on a 2010 Toyota Prius on Saturday! What do we do?

If the car still works, hurry up and trade it in before it becomes worthless.

Let me see if I understand this information correctly.

You have a 2009 Civic with transmission problems, and the dealership wants to charge you $3,000 for the repairs? What happened to your Powertrain Warranty?

How many miles have you accumulated on this nearly new car? Is it possible that you have already driven enough miles for the warranty to run out on this 2009 car?

maybe it’s a lease trade in, who knows. I have a 99 Civic that’s still not ready for trade in, and will only be sold privately, not traded in.

I thought the same thing, but the OP says he’s had the car for five years. It’s not an '09.

Did you take it in to the dealer you’re trading it in to, or to scAAMCO? I’d sure look for a second opinion on that one.

Thanks for your thought. We had never heard of “Transmission Bands” and worried that we were being fooled. Yes, it is close enough to worthless. Toyota is giving us a minimal trade in value on it, but more than twice the amount Honda offered. Oh well . . .

Thanks for your thought. We had never heard of “Transmission Bands” and worried that we were being fooled. Yes, it is close enough to worthless. Toyota is giving us a minimal trade in value on it, but more than twice the amount Honda offered. Oh well . . .

Automatic transmissions had bands before cassette players were invented. They have clutch discs now that look a lot like CD’s. These two statements are true I guess.

Well OBVIOUSLY it’s NOT a 2009 since you’ve owned it 5 years.

How many miles on this car. I have a hard time believing that you’ve had this much problem with the tranny in only 5 years…AND that it cost you money to get it fixed. Wasn’t any of this covered under warranty?? Weren’t the repairs covered under warranty???

Your best bet might be to get it fixed…and sell it yourself.

When I first wrote the question, I had never heard of transmission bands, but my son told me he had replaced the transmission on his truck when the bands broke.
We have traded it in and are now driving a Prius. I know many Honda drivers who have had no problems with their cars, but I drive a 30 mile (each way)commute 5 days a week and have lots of family visiting to do in upper New York (from Ohio) and travel 40 miles to Cleveland at least once a month. Maybe I drive my cars too much, or maybe the earlier versions of the hybrid were not ready for my busy (driving) lifestyle.
Thanks for your input.