2009 honda civic hybrid 26000 mi/ extended warrenty

I just bought a 2009 HCH/one prev owner/with 26,200 mi. Dealer selling an extended warrenty comprehensive 0 ded/60 months/75000 mi for 1395. It has nav/leather is this needed? Has factory warrenty for 3yr/36000mi. For the nav/cptr is it a good idea?

Any exp with failures in the hybrid?

thx

Does the extended warranty cover the nav? Don’t take the salesman’s word. He’ll tell you the extended warranty will bear your children if he thinks it’ll make you buy it. Read the warranty very carefully, and note what is and is not covered.

As for whether it’s worth it, it’s a gamble, but possibly, IF it covers the nav and any other electronics in the car. The nav on my TL (roughly the same nav as you have) went out prematurely, while still under warranty. If it hadn’t been under warranty I’d have been out 5 grand for the fix.

Well any car can have major expensive repairs.

The profit to the salesman and company is usually over 50%. So for every $1,000 you spend the insurance company has less than $500 to pay for repairs or they will loose money, something insurance companies do not do. Some people will get nothing back and some will get a lot more than they pay.  Most will get far less. In addition you need to keep in mind that the insurer has worded it to eliminate as many expensive things as they can.

Remember that the seller is out to make money and they get to write the rules and set the price.  They are not going to sell them at a loss so one way or another they are going to have you pay more than they will pay out.  

Would you gamble with a car dealer who gets to set all the rules and knows all the odds?   

Your decision has to do with the value of the piece of mind it gives you. If that is worth the cost then buy it. Don't expect it to cover everything however, most are written to keep cost down and exempt what they know will cost them money. 

Good Luck

I asked if the Nav as covered…he of course said yes…reading the brochure it does not say Nav system…just other relays, other modules.I will ask it be written in if covered.

It is all the bells/wistles I am concerned with…heated seats/nav/voice activated/etc.
zit does not say this in the electrical coverage…write it in or pass.

Is the Nav covered for updates? its maps may needs updating before you even buy the car.

It is likely that you won’t ever have an extended warranty repair. But you might. How risk averse are you? If the thought of losing use of your car at just the wrong moment keeps yu awake, maybe you should buy the warranty. Or you could put the $1395 in a savings account and pay for repairs as they come up. Take a nice vacation with whatever is left.

Good point on the updating maps…will have to read the manual/call again.
Also good advice to keep a cushion of monies for repairs…that is what the “GAP” insurance they also pitched is…covers real appraisal of car/vs what is owed if wrecked.

I will pray for wisdom here…also ask if any prev hondas out there have failed…or what repairs had to be made till 75 or 100000 mi.

thx to all for the input.

This forum is great as real info can be posted about the cars.

thxthxthx

Personally, I would definitely consider an extended warranty for a hybrid with a nav computer. The long-term performance of those technologies is not completely proven. But I’m not sure that 60m/75K is long enough. I’d want 72m/100K if I could afford it, and you have to make sure they list every single part you care about. I bought a Ford Co. extended warranty for my wife’s Fusion because she really wanted the security, and they brag about covering 187 listed parts…but that means any part not specifically listed is not covered. But yes, they usually are a bad deal.

Unlike extended warranties, Gap insurance is almost always a good idea, if you will be or think you might be upside down on the loan. You might not need it if you make a decent downpayment, though.

An out of date map is not a broken nav unit. No warranty covers map updates.