2009 Corolla Can Cruise For Miles Without Help

I purchased a new 2009 Corolla from the dealer. Since new, it has had a problem where the engine will not come down below 1100RPM if you take your foot off the accelerator. In fact, sometimes it even jumps from 900 to 1100 RPM just coasting.

The car will drive itself at 20 MPH unless I press the brake.

Beside the fact that I cannot coast to a stop and have to continually press the brakes, the gas mileage rarely goes over 24 MPG. The official dealer test was 30 MPG. A far cry from 35 MPG.

Dealer and Toyota say nothing is wrong and will not fix. Dealer says the ECM cannot be reprogrammed and ECM cannot be swapped.

Does any other Corolla owner have this problem and are the dealer and Toyota lying to me?

Thank you.

I have the same model as you and do not have a high idle problem. I am getting 27 mpg in winter local driving, I get an easy 35 on the highway in the summer. They are feeding you oats that have gone through the bull. Get hold of the Toyota zone office and plead your case. If they do not help get hold of the local news consumer people. Toyota has a good reputation and their corporate folks do not want any bad press. You have to find the right button to push to get their attention.

Is it possible that there are more details that you haven’t shared with us?

Yes, call your regional Toyota office and tell them the car will drive itself 20 mph all day with your foot off the gas. I think that’ll get their attention.

First of all your car model and year was subject to a recall for about 330,000 vehicles for accelerator problems, which was widely covered in the media. An early recall blames the floor mats and the shape of the accelerator pedal. A much more recent recall is described as follows according to Automotive.com:
Description
TOYOTA IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2005-2010 AVALON, MODEL YEAR 2007-2010 CAMRY, MODEL YEAR 2009-2010 COROLLA, COROLLA MATRIX, RAV4, MODEL YEAR 2010 HIGHLANDER, MODEL YEAR 2008-2010 SEQUOIA, AND MODEL YEAR 2007-2010 TUNDRA VEHICLES. DUE TO THE MANNER IN WHICH THE FRICTION LEVER INTERACTS WITH THE SLIDING SURFACE OF THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL INSIDE THE PEDAL SENSOR ASSEMBLY, THE SLIDING SURFACE OF THE LEVER MAY BECOME SMOOTH DURING VEHICLE OPERATION. IN THIS CONDITION, IF CONDENSATION OCCURS ON THE SURFACE, AS MAY OCCUR FROM HEATER OPERATION (WITHOUT A/C) WHEN THE PEDAL ASSEMBLY IS COLD, THE FRICTION WHEN THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL IS OPERATED MAY INCREASE, WHICH MAY RESULT IN THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL BECOMING HARDER TO DEPRESS, SLOWER TO RETURN, OR, IN THE WORST CASE, MECHANICALLY STUCK IN A PARTIALLY DEPRESSED POSITION.

The article continues:

Consequences:
THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL MAY BECOME HARD TO DEPRESS, SLOW TO RETURN TO IDLE, OR, IN THE WORST CASE, MECHANICALLY STUCK IN A PARTIALLY DEPRESSED POSITION, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy
DEALERS WILL INSTALL A REINFORCEMENT BAR IN THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL WHICH WILL ALLOW THE PEDAL TO OPERATE SMOOTHLY. GM WILL NOTIFY OWNERS FOR THE PONTIAC VIBE PLEASE SEE 10V-018. THIS SERVICE WILL BE PERFORMED FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON FEBRUARY 5, 2010 AND WILL BE COMPLETED ON MARCH 15, 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT TOYOTA AT 1-800-331-4331.

Potential Units Affected

Notes
TOYOTA MOTOR NORTH AMERICA, INC. AOA http://www.automotive.com/2009/49/toyota/corolla/recalls/19106.html

The media tended to focus on runaway Toyotas due to accelerators sticking at a high speeds, but it seems very likely that most of the problems were just like yours, an accelerator that would under certain conditions refuse to disengage at some lower speed, which may be less dangerous but which is certainly not safe.
Your max speed at idle in drive should be around five miles per hour on flat ground.

The recall has expired (see the link for full details), which may explain your dealer’s reluctance to address the problem. Under the recall, the dealer was compensated for all repairs.
My guess is that your dealer is not going to be compensated for any fix under an expired recall, and would like you to go away.

Thank you for all the replies.

My Toyota has gone through the recall issues, floor mats and accelerator pedals. This did not fix the problem.

There is nothing else I am leaving out. Take out floor mats, drive around till engine is warm.
Let go of accelerator to coast to a stop, car keeps going around 20 MPH, a little slower uphill.
Toyota tech witnessed this. Also witnessed the jump in RPMs.

Tech proclaimed he is the “best tester for gas mileage” because everyone drives erratic, yet he was only able to squeeze 30 MPG on highway.
When asked about this, he just agreed this was not normal.

Shall I make a video of this issue and post online?

Regional Toyota rep discounted this problem, so does that mean Toyota will not qualify for lemon law?

Your car most likely has an air leak somewhere between the throttle body and the intake manifold gasket. I would check all the hoses that run from the engine to the intake to see if one is disconnected, loose, or cracked.

I would also find another dealer, and have them look at the car.

Your car should idle at about 700 to 800 rpms when fully warmed up.

BC.