2009 Avalon - Change Oil Information

The manual for the 2009 Avalon is very light on info on Oil maintenance. Would like to understand what the car uses to determine when to turn on the required maintenance indicator. Just mileage? if so, what is it factory set to? Better to use the car as a guideline or stick to the 3000 mile rule? Car is in New York, Average driving conditions. Many Thanks,

-Herb

My wifes 07 Lexus with the 3.5l engine uses strictly mileage…5k. Use 5k and you’ll get HUNDREDS of thousands of miles out this car.

Mike. Very Helpful. 5k it is then. Thanks for the info.

Why not change the oil when the indicator says “change oil”. The manufacturer has set up this system which uses miles, speed, temperature, and other factors to tell you when the oil is depleted and needs to be changed. It might go off at 4K miles for one driver and 10K for another. You bought a Toyota because you trust them, now show some trust in the oil monitoring system they designed, tested, and have installed in your new car.

Let go of your old oil change habits and routines for this car and follow the advice of the manufacturer’s oil change monitoring system.

Good point, but my other vehicle’s manuals explain this combination of miles, speed, temp, etc. The 2009 Avalon Manual makes no reference to how this is determined. Some vehicles use straight mileage to determine when to turn on the indicator light. Above, Mike says his Lexus 3.5 uses mileage not a combo of the other elements. This can be verified over time by using the reset feature and noting the mileage. I am trying to determine in advance how it is calced so I can make solid decisions based on more than just the miles. Is there anywhere Toyota references how the Avalon Maint. Req’d. light is managed?

he manufacturer has set up this system which uses miles, speed, temperature, and other factors to tell you when the oil is depleted and needs to be changed. It might go off at 4K miles for one driver and 10K for another.

Unless Toyota changed that for 09…it doesn’t work that way. Strictly miles. Every 5k miles after it’s reset the maintenance light comes on.

My Scion, a Toyota product, uses straight miles. Every 4,5000 the light starts to blink. At 5,000 it comes on solid.