2008 Toyota RAV4 - All these lights, but no real issue?

I’ve had my 2008 Toyota RAV4 for about 3.5 years now and it’s at just under 125,000 miles (few hundred miles away). I’ve recently had an issue where my check engine light, traction control light, VSC light, and ABS light all turn on at the same time. Strangely enough, they don’t stay on very long and can’t find the time to take it to a mechanic when all of them are on. The car also drives no different than it does when the lights are off. The only other issues I’ve noticed is my revs jump and fall when in Park, and the car has begun shaking when at a red light (which is most likely my spark plugs). I’ve never had a car do such a strange thing, so I’m at a loss. I’ve searched forums and can’t really find anyone else with this exact issue. What could it be?

There may still be a fault stored in the engine ECU even after the check engine light is no longer illuminated, that should give you a clue as to what the intermittent failure was.

1 Like

The varying idle could be a dirty throttle body. I’m pretty sure when the check engine light is on the ABS and other systems are defeated. The other lights are all connected, no stability control without ABS, etc.

1 Like

That is correct.

agree, and/or dirty idle air control valve.

I had a 2005 Lexus 300is and it did a similar thing, with lots of lights and no apparent issues. Then one day the battery couldn’t start the car. With a new battery no more light show and the idle was better, too. It’s only one person’s experience, not an expert diagnosis, but worth considering. My battery wasn’t very old, but it turned out to be the wrong size for the car (too small).

I thought of that but from what I can find it doesn’t have an IAC valve. A vacuum leak is another possibility.